Video analysis: Beginner Butterfly

Began learning fly a few weeks ago. First 15 yards in video are awful, last ten perhaps less awful. Masters coach says: head down, more rhythm with body and less knees in kick. I'm sure she's right, but I also welcome any other tips or suggestions. Thanks! Here's a link to the video: drive.google.com/.../view
Parents
  • Very impressive as Fly is the most beautiful of strokes that also requires the most strength, coordination and execution or it looks likes someone is drowning :-) I like the relaxed arm recovery out front, that's something I teach as a primary focus point so you are on the right track there. As someone said, your pull needs to be a little narrower and you need to accelerate the last half of the pull so you can helps your arms exit the water a little easier. I think you are focusing too much on getting your kick in so you are kicking from the knees rather than from the hips as part of the body dolphin movement. My recommendation is to search out the chest press drill for butterfly as I this is my all time favorite drill for young swimmers as it teaches the critical body movement that will help to move the kick more in sync with the body. There should be two kicks, one when the hands exit the water at the completion of the pull and one when then hands enter the water at the end of the recovery. But really, quite a solid foundation. -pw
  • Very impressive as Fly is the most beautiful of strokes that also requires the most strength, coordination and execution or it looks likes someone is drowning :-) I like the relaxed arm recovery out front, that's something I teach as a primary focus point so you are on the right track there. As someone said, your pull needs to be a little narrower and you need to accelerate the last half of the pull so you can helps your arms exit the water a little easier. I think you are focusing too much on getting your kick in so you are kicking from the knees rather than from the hips as part of the body dolphin movement. My recommendation is to search out the chest press drill for butterfly as I this is my all time favorite drill for young swimmers as it teaches the critical body movement that will help to move the kick more in sync with the body. There should be two kicks, one when the hands exit the water at the completion of the pull and one when then hands enter the water at the end of the recovery. But really, quite a solid foundation. -pw
Children
No Data