Back into it at 54!

Former Member
Former Member
I am 54 and a few pounds heavy, though am very strong. I took up swimming as a main workout about 5 months ago after a 37 year lapse. My gym has a 25 meter pool. I am not anywhere near as fast as I was in HS but can now hold my own with most folks my age. I am pretty good in all 4 main strokes though I find the Butterfly to be a killer. I worked my way up to 3250 meters but found this to be a bit much so I backed it down to 2100 meters of which I alternate between 100 meter Freestyle, 100 meters of Backstroke and 100 meters of breaststroke 7 times. I rarely do the Butterfly. I am fighting arthritis and aging. Is swimming the 2100 meters about 4 days out of the week a good workout for the middle aged gent I now am? Right now the whole workout takes about 46 minutes and I hit the mile mark around 36 minutes. Am I doing okay?:) Thanks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Last weekend there was held a National Masters competition of Bulgaria. I went to see what I should expect next year. I couldn't believe there were so many competitors (more than couple of dozens) aged over 80. Oldest folks were born between 1928-1932 and they swam 50 LCM in 1:25 (slightly slower than me). So comparing to them with your 54's - you are a teenager with plenty of time to improve your technique and pace.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Last weekend there was held a National Masters competition of Bulgaria. I went to see what I should expect next year. I couldn't believe there were so many competitors (more than couple of dozens) aged over 80. Oldest folks were born between 1928-1932 and they swam 50 LCM in 1:25 (slightly slower than me). So comparing to them with your 54's - you are a teenager with plenty of time to improve your technique and pace.
Children
No Data