Kiking with/without A Board

I usually do some kicking every w/o, sometimes with fins and sometimes without. I considered myself a decent kicker. However, I recently added kicking with a board. To my great annoyance I am pretty lame with the board. I began carefully observing swimmers who are good board kickers. They appear to be kicking in an unnatural position. They are high in the water and some seem to be lying on the board.Does this really help ones kicking when part of the full stroke? I prefer kicking with a front snorkel. Is this not more like the real free kick when integrated into the full stroke?
Parents
  • As with any tool, a kickboard has its advantages and disadvantages. If you have an excellent kicking technique and simply want to strengthen your leg muscles, the board can be a useful tool to accomplish this. However, as some have mentioned, the board tends to put more strain on the shoulders, especially if you have an inefficient kick and lean on the board more for support. Keeping your arms in the stretched-out position for long periods of time is a strain in itself. Kicking with a snorkel can also be a great drill, so long as you have a coach watching to make sure you are kicking properly (kicking from the hips, as opposed to the knees for example). Whether its a kickboard or a snorkel, those tools alone will not serve to improve your kicking technique or efficiency. All drills should be practiced in moderation. Improving your kick requires a combination of a variety of kicking drills (like kick at side) which serve to improve conditioning and strengthen other areas of the body, such as your core. Swimming is a total-body strengthening exercise in which both the upper and lower body work in tandem to get you through the water. As such, variety in your workouts is key to improving overall, whether it is your kick or any other aspect of your swimming.
  • As with any tool, a kickboard has its advantages and disadvantages. If you have an excellent kicking technique and simply want to strengthen your leg muscles, the board can be a useful tool to accomplish this. However, as some have mentioned, the board tends to put more strain on the shoulders, especially if you have an inefficient kick and lean on the board more for support. Keeping your arms in the stretched-out position for long periods of time is a strain in itself. Kicking with a snorkel can also be a great drill, so long as you have a coach watching to make sure you are kicking properly (kicking from the hips, as opposed to the knees for example). Whether its a kickboard or a snorkel, those tools alone will not serve to improve your kicking technique or efficiency. All drills should be practiced in moderation. Improving your kick requires a combination of a variety of kicking drills (like kick at side) which serve to improve conditioning and strengthen other areas of the body, such as your core. Swimming is a total-body strengthening exercise in which both the upper and lower body work in tandem to get you through the water. As such, variety in your workouts is key to improving overall, whether it is your kick or any other aspect of your swimming.
Children
No Data