Is this an American characteristic?

Former Member
Former Member
I mentioned this same subject a while ago here. I’ve recently applied for a head-coach job (as advertised on USMS) at a masters club in the US. Just as before, I haven’t received a reply from the advertiser. Is this normal procedure? Perhaps I’m of the wrong generation, and courtesy doesn’t matter any more?
  • Makes us wonder how they treat the other staff and customers??
  • GGS5T, I see that you're located outside the U.S. ...presumably not a U.S. citizen. Sadly, I think it is an American trait. Although not an across-the-board sort of thing. And I'm speaking broadly...not just about USMS. So don't count us all bad. Sometimes when applying for something you will at least hear back from the organization that they have "made a selection and you were not among the finalists"...etc. But you'd think that an organization could at least do all the applicants the courtesy of telling them that the position has been filled. Nevertheless, I've applied for numerous jobs in which the opening is closed and the position filled and I never got a response beyond "thank you for your interest..." when I initially applied. And unfortunately that's usually the case when applying for jobs with the (U.S.) federal government. So don't take is so badly. Really, you ought to query the organization and ask why you haven't heard back from them, and if the position has been filled exactly where your qualifications were lacking. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I would say, in general, yes. It isn't ideal but often when applying for any job if you are not who they are looking for then you won't hear back.
  • Former Member
    On reflection, maybe it’s because I’m living in the UK? I suppose it could raise employment difficulties for them.
  • Former Member
    I have a couple of friends who are HR directors, they say their companies have started moving away from notifying people other than the hired candidate because it seemed no matter what wording they used they ended getting sued. When other candidates call or email they are simply informed "the position is filled, thank you for calling".
  • Here's another American trait you can try... persistance! Send a follow-up note or better yet, a phone call to enquire after your application. It shows your true interest, and that you weren't just dumping resumes. If you call, and actually speak with someone, you will at least know, and not wonder/worry.
  • Former Member
    Here's another American trait you can try... persistance! Send a follow-up note or better yet, a phone call to enquire after your application. It shows your true interest, and that you weren't just dumping resumes. If you call, and actually speak with someone, you will at least know, and not wonder/worry. I’ll give it a try. Thanks.