Hip driven 6BK - Determined to get this done properly

Former Member
Former Member
I’ve been rebuilding my stroke using the snorkel, and now trying to get my 6BK kick to be as good as a top club swimmer, ie: 1. 100% Symmetrical with no hitches (6BK) 2. Hip driven style – lots of rotation 3. Fully connected and seamlessly timed on the pull 4. Scalable from easy to blistering Being a musician with a drum kit I have keen sense of rhythm so it has bothered me to no end that I can’t get my kick to sync without stutter steps, double whips and right side dominance. So this week I have focused on doing it “right” – or not at all. I have been lapping at a very slow rate of 60-65 SPM, with key movements of taking my lead hip down to the lane line, stretching the arm out and shoulder also to the pool floor, with a deliberate & steady 1,2,3 1,2,3, 1,2,3 (waltz ¾ or is it 6/8??) Not easy!! but determined and progress has been good. My back really likes this style, you go low to get high - so hydrodynamics are fantastic. The pull has such a solid counter strike coming from the kick it’s amazing the efficiency. Even at super low and easy stroke rates, I have no trouble with pace in the big lane at Kits pool here in Vancouver. That’s the trick too, 1st to not break rhythm, 2 stretch it out and see if I can hang with swimmers chugging at much faster SPM. So the question I have here is, where do I take this next? I am really reluctant to let go of these sessions until I have it instinctive. And can you take elements of hip-driven and apply that to the sprint speeds, can this be scaled up? I have honestly not amped up for fear of losing the mojo I have finally hit. Anything else I can do?
Parents
  • Hi Shark, welcome to the forum! I think it's great that you are focusing on the kick. There are so many debates on whether the kick is even necessary - some even encourage their swimmers not to "waste time developing your kick" if you haven't been a lifelong competitive swimmer. Unfortunately, this is complete nonsense and kicking is far from overrated. You can use your legs strategically for balance and for propulsion if you master an efficient kick. This is what I would recommend you focus on: your efficiency. Make sure that your kicking technique is sound, so that you are making the most out of the power of your legs. Sometimes it is better to have an efficient 2-4 beat kick than an inefficient 6-beat kick! You may also benefit from a second opinion - a coach who can actually watch you from the deck (or on video), and let you know what your weak points are. Good luck!
  • Hi Shark, welcome to the forum! I think it's great that you are focusing on the kick. There are so many debates on whether the kick is even necessary - some even encourage their swimmers not to "waste time developing your kick" if you haven't been a lifelong competitive swimmer. Unfortunately, this is complete nonsense and kicking is far from overrated. You can use your legs strategically for balance and for propulsion if you master an efficient kick. This is what I would recommend you focus on: your efficiency. Make sure that your kicking technique is sound, so that you are making the most out of the power of your legs. Sometimes it is better to have an efficient 2-4 beat kick than an inefficient 6-beat kick! You may also benefit from a second opinion - a coach who can actually watch you from the deck (or on video), and let you know what your weak points are. Good luck!
Children
No Data