Which drills are best for this freestyle stroke flaw?

Wow, my freestyle stroke technique has fallen apart! :afraid: I didn't realize it had gotten this bad since returning from hip surgery.:blush: Videos shot from on deck don't reveal what this video shot from above shows. Underwater clips don't reveal my flaws as much as this video shows either. What I see in this video is that the arm on my breathing side (whether I breathe to the left or right) is going wide on recovery and entering wide. Even though I aim to straddle the line on the bottom of the pool and trace the edge with my thumb (right thumb on right edge, left thumb on left edge), I'm not doing what I think I'm doing. My arm is going wide, especially when I breathe right on the second 25. It is going so wide that I end up at the right edge of the lane by the time I hit the wall! (Perhaps my fears of crossing over has caused me to enter too wide...) When I do the one-arm drill each day as part of my warm-up, it feels like everything is going correctly. Evidently, when I put the stroke together, it's not. Which drills would you recommend for this? I looked through Cokie's "There's a Drill For That!" for some ideas; however, I couldn't figure out which drill would be best. Any ideas? THANKS! www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • One drill you might try is to intentionally lift your head so you are looking forward. Then you can see exactly where your hands are entering. If this is hard to do because it causes your legs to drop you could use a pull buoy. If you have a snorkel this will work even better because you'll be able to look forward uninterrupted by breathing.
  • One drill you might try is to intentionally lift your head so you are looking forward. Then you can see exactly where your hands are entering. If this is hard to do because it causes your legs to drop you could use a pull buoy. If you have a snorkel this will work even better because you'll be able to look forward uninterrupted by breathing.
Children
No Data