Washington Post Editorial - Ledecky - Women's 1500 Free

The Washington Post has an Editorial today commenting about Ledecky's 200-400-800-1500 sweep last week but also about the lack of the women's 1500 in the Olympics: http://wapo.st/1MZ8Nw6 Pretty cool for the sport of swimming and the Olympic events to get that kind of publicity outside of the Sports page! Jeff
Parents
  • so what if the shotput now weighs more...reset and see who holds the new wr! start from the same tee and take 1 more stroke you seem ok with swimming the same 1500 distance but almost getting lapped doing it! (ie yang vs ledekey) These are decent points. I really don't know much about the shotput, but I'm sure there are some strong women out there who could handle the men's weight shot. But what about high school girls? Do you also thing girls/women should be using the same size basketballs and water polo balls as the men do? I think it's appropriate to make gender specific rules if those rules are due to true physical differences rather than outdated thinking about what females are capable of in sport. Golf is strange, I'll admit. There's such an ingrained mindset around shooting par that a lot of women would really hate hitting from the men's tees. But to me the tennis scenario is exactly like women swimming an 800 versus the men doing a 1500. It's nothing more than an anachronism. I'm glad to see we're actually getting some decent debate in a few threads lately. Things were getting awfully boring around here.:banana:
  • so what if the shotput now weighs more...reset and see who holds the new wr! start from the same tee and take 1 more stroke you seem ok with swimming the same 1500 distance but almost getting lapped doing it! (ie yang vs ledekey) These are decent points. I really don't know much about the shotput, but I'm sure there are some strong women out there who could handle the men's weight shot. But what about high school girls? Do you also thing girls/women should be using the same size basketballs and water polo balls as the men do? I think it's appropriate to make gender specific rules if those rules are due to true physical differences rather than outdated thinking about what females are capable of in sport. Golf is strange, I'll admit. There's such an ingrained mindset around shooting par that a lot of women would really hate hitting from the men's tees. But to me the tennis scenario is exactly like women swimming an 800 versus the men doing a 1500. It's nothing more than an anachronism. I'm glad to see we're actually getting some decent debate in a few threads lately. Things were getting awfully boring around here.:banana:
Children
No Data