I just published an app that generates random swim sets.

Former Member
Former Member
(I don't know if there's a rule against promoting a free app or not. If there is: sorry about that, and I understand if this thread gets deleted). Hey guys, like the title says, I just published an app for android that randomly generates swim sets. The app is called "Swim Set Roulette", and can be found here: play.google.com/.../details Features of the app include: Be able to randomly generate sets bases on specific strokes and distances. Add any of these sets to your personal workout. Keeps track of total workout distance. Rearrange and delete sets from your workout. Copy individual sets, or the entire workout to your clipboard. Email a workout to someone. I would love to get feedback on how I could improve the app. Thanks!
  • Oh yeah, right. First roll for a distance of 2000 2x425 reverse IM (what the heck is that) that's about as nice as swimming butterfly backwards 175 free 100 *** 100 back 50 fly why does this program stop at a distance of 2000 recommend this distance go up to at least 5000 my favorite long distance set is 5100 meters I'll roll again to see what imaginative workout it decides to provide
  • Any web-based version for us old geezers who think that phone apps are the work of the devil?
  • Brilliant! Out of interest, why would you want to do a random swim set? All of mine are quite the opposite. For the same reason you might want to play Fischer Random Chess? Chess960 (or Fischer Random Chess) is a variant of chess invented and advocated by former World Chess Champion Bobby Fischer ... It employs the same board and pieces as standard chess; however, the starting position of the pieces on the players' home ranks is randomized. The name "Chess960" is derived from the number of possible starting positions. The random setup renders the prospect of obtaining an advantage through the memorization of opening lines impracticable, compelling players to rely on their talent and creativity. Don't you get tired of swimming the same 17-18 events? How about a "Fischer Random Meet", where you pony up an entry fee, to swim 5 random events? Let a random number generator pick the distance, stroke(s), and order. You might find yourself swimming, 75 fly 150 back 400 *** 25 free 275 (11 lengths) in the order ***, free, back, back, fly, ***, fly, back, fly, fly, fly Prizes awarded somehow, to reward whatever oddball notion of "swimming talent and creativity" anyone thinks this represents! Fischer random chess never really caught on. Somehow I think this won't catch on either. :)
  • Don't you get tired of swimming the same 17-18 events? How about a "Fischer Random Meet", where you pony up an entry fee, to swim 5 random events? Let a random number generator pick the distance, stroke(s), and order. You might find yourself swimming, 75 fly 150 back 400 *** 25 free 275 (11 lengths) in the order ***, free, back, back, fly, ***, fly, back, fly, fly, fly Prizes awarded somehow, to reward whatever oddball notion of "swimming talent and creativity" anyone thinks this represents Going off on a tangent, I'd actually love a meet with non-standard events! Maybe not completely random events, but give me a selection of oddball events to choose from (within reason, no 750 fly!) and I'd sign up in a heartbeat!
  • Going off on a tangent, I'd actually love a meet with non-standard events! Maybe not completely random events, but give me a selection of oddball events to choose from (within reason, no 750 fly!) and I'd sign up in a heartbeat! I'll take the 750 fly! :bliss:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Any web-based version for us old geezers who think that phone apps are the work of the devil? Brilliant! Out of interest, why would you want to do a random swim set? All of mine are quite the opposite.
  • Fly is the "king" of events! others are the posers.
  • I just downloaded and it looks good. My workouts are 2000-2500m. so the distance is perfect. If I so desire I can always add some w/u and c/d sets. The idea of randomness in training has gained popularity in recent years, primarily through Crossfit. Of course, this is not a recommended approach for a competitive swimmer training to peak in a particular event at a specified time where you have a year or multi-year training plan. But for us fitness swimmers it is both fun and effective. Thank you James.:applaud:
  • i was able to see it on my computer, but it wasn't available thru the iPhone App store. Any suggestions? Lenny Zilz, Seattle.
  • You can find it on Google Play, or Galaxy Apps