Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
  • I'm 54 and just joined usms. I had three lessons two years ago, stopped, then took up swimming about a year and a half ago and only more seriously since September of 2015. I have relentlessly practiced and watched videos since September, taken more lessons and observed. As of last week I can now do a great butterfly, the last skill on my bucket list--Needless to say I'm very proud of myself. What I may lack in natural athleticism I more than make up for in drive. You know how you learn best. Make sure that you do some core/strength training, practice, take a lesson or two if you're not sure and have someone video you to keep track of your progress, etc. Competition can be both perspective enlightening and distorting. Set some practical and achievable goals and evaluate as you go along. Whatever you choose to do, recreationally or competitively, you're in the pool and that in itself is a good start.
  • Congrats to you, Me1ani, on your accomplishments from your hard work! And this is really sound advice too! Thanks! I'm still giggling and humming to myself over it! One coaches advice was to only practice the stroke with fins for the first month or two. I have a feeling it will be quite sobering when I take them off...
  • Thanks! I'm still giggling and humming to myself over it! One coaches advice was to only practice the stroke with fins for the first month or two. I have a feeling it will be quite sobering when I take them off... Congratulations on taking up swimming and joining usms. Coached feedback is definitely the most effective course of action: proper form = healthy shoulders There's also nothing wrong with flying with fins on, heck, the only time I don't wear them is at swim meets.