Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    However, if you look at the very top of most age groups you do see people with very legit swimming backgrounds - pwb, Chris S, the annoying Smith and good Smith (if they'd ever swim again), Rowdy, Switzer, knelson, Braun, Fortress, Andersen, KPN, etc. Rather than use them as my competition basis, I walk around muttering their names as inspirations for improving, and then hoping they get the stomach bug before nationals. Yes, this can be a problem for those swimmers who come into masters swimming at a late age without having been a swimmer when younger. To start in masters at around the age of 30 or 40 without a previous competitive background is probably desirable for health, sanity and to have an aim in life, but in reality the late starter is unlikely to pick up medals nationally. The answer, of course, is to outlive your competitors and compete when over the age of 95.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    However, if you look at the very top of most age groups you do see people with very legit swimming backgrounds - pwb, Chris S, the annoying Smith and good Smith (if they'd ever swim again), Rowdy, Switzer, knelson, Braun, Fortress, Andersen, KPN, etc. Rather than use them as my competition basis, I walk around muttering their names as inspirations for improving, and then hoping they get the stomach bug before nationals. Yes, this can be a problem for those swimmers who come into masters swimming at a late age without having been a swimmer when younger. To start in masters at around the age of 30 or 40 without a previous competitive background is probably desirable for health, sanity and to have an aim in life, but in reality the late starter is unlikely to pick up medals nationally. The answer, of course, is to outlive your competitors and compete when over the age of 95.
Children
No Data