Peaty vs Van der Burgh 100 *** Start

Former Member
Former Member
So who saw the 100 *** final in Kazan today? So close, but Peaty gave himself a lot to do. So I was interested to see where Peaty is losing out on the start of his 100 *** vs van der Burgh. With the BBC site and the grab tool on the mac, I've done a simple analysis... 1) VDB clearly rocks back slightly on "take your marks" while Peaty is set slightly forward 2) Peaty gets off the blocks quicker than VBD and 3) hits the water sooner, with less distance 4) by the time you see them again, VDB is slightly ahead. Ignoring potential double kicks, he's clearly got greater velocity underwater 5) at this point they have all pulled down and VBD has a little more of a lead 6) This one is interesting. Peaty is just starting his kick up, and VDB is finishing his, so it seems like he may be initiating his kick at a point that maintains his speed 7) Even though VDB finishes his kick up way before Peaty, they hit the surface about the same time - VDB is just way ahead AND is initiating his first stroke as he does so. I think the very start is the key here. VBD sacrifices a little on reaction time to get into a more powerful position, and then he capitalises on the power that he generates... 9834
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I saw it as well. And it was the best race of the day. One thing I liked that despite VDB is taller than Peaty with bigger muscles, Adam outswam him at the end, which gives the courage to say that "size doesn't matter". :)))