Swimming in sewage in Rio

I wasn't sure if this should go in the open water section or here but it is about swimming.I just read this-bigstory.ap.org/.../ap-investigation-rios-olympic-water-rife-sewage-virus and am worried for our open water swimmers. What a terrible predicament,work for years to go to the Olympics and then get really really sick. This is a black eye on the IOC,who like FINA, is more interested in politics and patronage than athletes.
Parents
  • From the article: "However, Dr. Richard Budgett, the medical director for the International Olympic Committee, said after seeing the AP findings that the IOC and Brazilian authorities should stick to their program of testing only for bacteria to determine whether the water is safe for athletes. 'We've had reassurances from the World Health Organization and others that there is no significant risk to athlete health,' he told the AP on the sidelines of an IOC meeting in Malaysia. He went on to say that 'there will be people pushing for all sorts of other tests, but we follow the expert advice and official advice on how to monitor water effectively.'" But it's his job to say that. Let's see, if you grew up swimming in a toilet, then you would be used to the germs floating around in the toilet. Those toilet swimmers are at an advantage since their immune systems are used to those toilet loving germs. If you did not grow up swimming in a toilet, yes, its going to be hard on the immune system for any/all of those non-toilet swimming swimmers. I would like to see the Argentinian IOC swim in that particular toilet for the time it takes to swim the 10K Meter marathon swim, and see how well they are after drinking a few tablespoons of toilet water of their own raw sewage.
  • From the article: "However, Dr. Richard Budgett, the medical director for the International Olympic Committee, said after seeing the AP findings that the IOC and Brazilian authorities should stick to their program of testing only for bacteria to determine whether the water is safe for athletes. 'We've had reassurances from the World Health Organization and others that there is no significant risk to athlete health,' he told the AP on the sidelines of an IOC meeting in Malaysia. He went on to say that 'there will be people pushing for all sorts of other tests, but we follow the expert advice and official advice on how to monitor water effectively.'" But it's his job to say that. Let's see, if you grew up swimming in a toilet, then you would be used to the germs floating around in the toilet. Those toilet swimmers are at an advantage since their immune systems are used to those toilet loving germs. If you did not grow up swimming in a toilet, yes, its going to be hard on the immune system for any/all of those non-toilet swimming swimmers. I would like to see the Argentinian IOC swim in that particular toilet for the time it takes to swim the 10K Meter marathon swim, and see how well they are after drinking a few tablespoons of toilet water of their own raw sewage.
Children
No Data