30 Most Influential People in Swimming

USA Swimming announced their list of the "30 most influential" people in swimming over the past 30 years. www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx OK, any list like this is going to be controversial, but one of the things I found somewhat bizarre is that of the 30 people honored only seven of them were active in the pool in the last 30 years. Also there are only 5 women. Lastly the list is a little heavy on USA Swimming executive types. Chuck Wielgus? Please...:shakeshead: Anyone else have any comments? Who's missing that should be on the list?
  • USA Swimming announced their list of the "30 most influential" people in swimming over the past 30 years. www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDefault.aspx OK, any list like this is going to be controversial, but one of the things I found somewhat bizarre is that of the 30 people honored only seven of them were active in the pool in the last 30 years. Also there are only 5 women. Lastly the list is a little heavy on USA Swimming executive types. Chuck Wielgus? Please...:shakeshead: Anyone else have any comments? Who's missing that should be on the list? I agree a list like this is always going to miss a few really significant names. It's hard to believe however that Missy Franklin, Katie Ledecky and Natalie Coughlin are not on the list. Missy and Katie have changed the face of women's swimming and Natalie continues to write her name in the record books. Could it be the fact that they are all still actively swimming? Another women who jumps out as missing from the list is Jenny Thompson, who I believe owns the most Olympic golds of any U.S. Women. There are a lot of males on the list but again it's hard to see why Ryan Lochte would not make the list. If it were not for Michael he would the most successful US Male swimmer since Mark Spitz. Also I believe the first swimmer to have a talk show. I almost said a successful TV show....then I remembered it was pretty crappy! this one is likely to stoke some fires but for influential perhaps Dr Rushall and his USRPT would be a good candidate for the list.
  • this one is likely to stoke some fires but for influential perhaps Dr Rushall and his USRPT would be a good candidate for the list. Way too controversial and--I would say--very premature at this point. You want a "sciency" person on the list I'd go with Genadijus Sokolovas.
  • Way too controversial and--I would say--very premature at this point. You want a "sciency" person on the list I'd go with Genadijus Sokolovas. I agree controversial but I think if you measure it by the number of people affected by what he has proposed it's likely a lot. Maybe in 5-10 years he will be on the list or forgotten. Time will tell.
  • I agree controversial but I think if you measure it by the number of people affected by what he has proposed it's likely a lot. Maybe in 5-10 years he will be on the list or forgotten. Time will tell.While he’s definitely having a current impact, I’m not sure if it fit the description of “30 Most Influential People in Swimming over the Past 30 Years” to recognize those who have made a significant impact to propel swimming into the pre-eminent Olympic sport. I wonder if they considered folks like Peter Carlisle and Evan Morgenstein? Both have had a significant impact over the past 15-20 years.
  • I wonder if they considered folks like Peter Carlisle and Evan Morgenstein? Both have had a significant impact over the past 15-20 years. You're right. They should have!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I expected to see Natalie Coughlin on the list, though, I suppose a good argument can be made for a dozen or more swimmers who should've been on the list in each of our opinions.
  • I'd have included Jose Nagy,developer of the "wave" breaststroke.
  • Agree. Along those lines, Dave Berkhoff. but why should he get credit for what the japanese guy (pretty sure it was Daichi Suzuki) was doing 4 years earlier in '84 games? almost 50m underwater on the 100m back and 40m on the start of the 200m back.
  • but why should he get credit for what the japanese guy (pretty sure it was Daichi Suzuki) was doing 4 years earlier in '84 games?Or Jesse Vassallo in 1976?
  • Diana Nyad Say what you will about Diana Nyad, and/or her swim from Cuba, but her swimming has inspired me very much; Craig Deitz & Hank Wise read this if you are unfamiliar with this particular swim; dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/.../instabros-is-how-it-goes.html Any/All Paralympic swimmers Just watch their swimming on the internet since the US Media does not like to cover the Paralympics.