Where/how can I get a good-quality swim instructor?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi. I want to get a good quality swim instructor who will teach and correct me in swimming (been swimming a lot but completely self-learned, very unprofessional). There are a lot of people advertising, but I have no way to know who's really good. I've seen some of the worst instructors in the pools I swam. So where do I look for good swimming instructors? (I've heard some say Total Immersion is good, but they charge a fortune for a brief course.)
Parents
  • This is a loaded topic. What made the "worst instructors" so bad? Just curious. I have found a abundance of all types of swim instruction. Some instructors have "been doing this for 20 years and that's how we do it". Other coaches, I have been fortunate to be exposed to, are open to the newest research in swimming and are willing to give new theory a try. With that said find an instructor that can "cultivate" your swimming ability into what your goals are. Do you want to participate in structured workouts?, Do you want to do a triathlon?, Do you want to compete in swim meets? Nothing bad or wrong from being self-taught. You just need some cultivation on your technique. That is also a never ending process. There are two things I feel strongly about: 1) instructors who are not willing to change as improvements in swimming techniques are identified through scientific research; 2) instructors who bad mouth other swim instructors and swim organizations. Swimming styles, techniques, of the past have all vastly been improved upon. I recently saw a video of a side by side comparison of Mark Spitz' butterfly style, next to Michael Phelps', yes, there is a huge difference. Good luck on finding an instructor who can meet your needs.
  • This is a loaded topic. What made the "worst instructors" so bad? Just curious. I have found a abundance of all types of swim instruction. Some instructors have "been doing this for 20 years and that's how we do it". Other coaches, I have been fortunate to be exposed to, are open to the newest research in swimming and are willing to give new theory a try. With that said find an instructor that can "cultivate" your swimming ability into what your goals are. Do you want to participate in structured workouts?, Do you want to do a triathlon?, Do you want to compete in swim meets? Nothing bad or wrong from being self-taught. You just need some cultivation on your technique. That is also a never ending process. There are two things I feel strongly about: 1) instructors who are not willing to change as improvements in swimming techniques are identified through scientific research; 2) instructors who bad mouth other swim instructors and swim organizations. Swimming styles, techniques, of the past have all vastly been improved upon. I recently saw a video of a side by side comparison of Mark Spitz' butterfly style, next to Michael Phelps', yes, there is a huge difference. Good luck on finding an instructor who can meet your needs.
Children
No Data