Value of 100 repeats @ short rest?

Former Member
Former Member
I have a problem that I hope the more seasoned swimmers here might be able to clarify for me. First, some background: I never swam competitively. I started swimming 'seriously' in Dec/Jan, knowing how to swim, but not knowing how to structure a decent workout program. I'd like to think that I've improved in the latter regard. I swim 6-7x a week for about 60-90mins at a time, getting in anywhere from 2500 to 4000yds a session. I don't have a race that I focus on, but I tend to enjoy 50 fr/bk, 100 fr & 100 IM---so basically, the shorter stuff. Most of my workouts involve strong effort sets with a good amount of rest. Now...here's my question. Do I need to be doing sets like Nx100 or Nx50 on an interval that gives me :5-:10 seconds rest? If so, how often should I be doing these? Since I'm a beginner, I feel like I need to add stuff like this to my workout, just to improve my overall conditioning. But am I wrong? I've started doing the following main set every Sunday: 12x100 broken into 3 rounds of 4x100s as fr/IM/bk, on intervals that give me :5-:10 rest; followed by 9x100 broken into 3 rds of 3x100 of the same. My goal is to progress enough each week so that I can lower the intervals. This has been working OK for the past few weeks, in the sense that my intervals are coming down. But I feel like that's all I'm getting out of it---getting better at swimming 100 repeats, and apparently not much else. Is this worth it if I don't ever plan on racing a 200+ distance? Sorry for the long post but I'd really appreciate any input on this! I swim solo so I have nobody else that I can discuss these things with. (Incidentally, today is Sunday, and I'm about to head to the pool to do the workout mentioned above. I'm really starting to dread it. It's a tough workout for me---which is fine, if it weren't for the nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that it's tough and pointless, which makes it even more tough! Am I just being a wimp?)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    msf87, for what it's worth, I think if you enjoy the shorter distances and that's where you want to focus, then your misgivings about repeats with low rest are valid. I have been tracking my yardage and workouts since I got back to swimming seriously eight years ago, and I do not see a correlation between longer yardage and less rest with race performance. I swim 50s, 100s and 200s in competition. The seasons where I have seen my best performance have combined consistent training (4x and 5x a week) and focus on higher intensity sets. I have come to realize that repeat sets of 100s on short rest are almost worthless to me. (Although I do get something out of broken 200s as 4x50 with low rest.) For 100s in particular I'd rather have a little more rest and swim a little faster, or just do a long swim and focus on form. That said, I am very clear that my whole approach to the sport is based on sustainability. If I do workouts that challenge me but are fun, I am more likely to get to the pool. The moment it feels like drudgery, I know there's a problem.
  • Rest is good, your form (& motivation) will not suffer. I'm reading that you are beginning to dread your workouts; with good reason. It sounds like a whole lot of suffering. Be kind to yourself & if you are in this for the long term, add drills, kicking, pulling, sets of different lengths & strokes. Make it fun! Variety is the spice of life....
  • The best exercise is what is sustainable(and enjoyable) for you.If you keep your heartbeat up through the workout,you are getting aerobic work.Do what works for you.
  • I swim pretty much the same distances you do but throw in a 200 or 500 free occasionally. I usually do repeat 100s as my base building and as the season progresses and I get in better shape will then start doing 50s and 25s for more speed. Maybe at this point of your training you should start mixing in some of the shorter distance sets and increase the amount of rest so your doing higher quality workouts. This may help your mind and body both. Good Luck.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the responses! I think the following quote is on the money: The moment it feels like drudgery, I know there's a problem. On Sunday I was just not looking forward to swimming at all. It felt like something I had to do, as opposed to something I wanted to do. My bike ride to the pool felt like I was doing a mountain stage in the Tour, and then my warm-up when I finally got there felt like it was going in slow motion. So I just stopped and asked myself, "why am I doing this?" I decided to scratch my planned 100 repeat workout, and instead did this: 5x{100 strong @ I; 50 strong @ I} 100ez 3x{2x100 best avg @ I; 50 ez @ I} 100ez 2x{100 for time @ I; 50 ez @ I} (where I is an interval that gave me :30 rest on the 100s in the first bit) I was much happier with this workout, and I also feel like I didn't deviate too much from my plan. Going forwards I think I'm going to stop doing regularly scheduled short-rest 100s---maybe only doing them when I feel like it. The benefits for my sanity seem like they will outweigh the loss of training benefits (if any!).
  • If you are training to be a pure sprinter, then go as planned. Most of us are "all around swimmers ",with some special races in us
  • Yes, there is value in what you described in your initial post. Look for the thread on USRPT and, anything with Glen Gruber discussing USRPT. I have to hand it to Glen he is very focused on what he is doing, and has been able to sustain it for a long period of time. I handily agree to mix up your swim workouts. Keep it interesting.
  • Former Member
    Personally, I only do this type of test set about once a month or so. They hurt and are not fun! If my training has been going well then I like the challenge - if not, well... I skip it. I love to compete but when it becomes a chore it's not worth it. I like the workout you did above. I always have to mix up my workouts to keep it interesting and work on different aspects of my strokes. I trained by myself for years so I know how challenging it can be!