Aquaphobia

I posted this on the Coaches Forum with no luck. I was asked to volunteer to do Lifeguarding duties, and Swim Lessons at an adult swim camp. The adults, I was informed, may have aquaphobia. I have never had this situation before. Any advice/guidance would be helpful. Thanks,
Parents
  • In ALTS, we were taught to break lessons into very tiny steps -- even smaller than Denise is saying -- and be very patient. Some people may freak out just from the pressure of the water on their feet as they step in. They have to take their time and be ready. Teach breathing out of the water first. Once they can get in, they can blow bubbles while working on breath control. These are just a few examples.
  • In ALTS, we were taught to break lessons into very tiny steps -- even smaller than Denise is saying -- and be very patient. Some people may freak out just from the pressure of the water on their feet as they step in. They have to take their time and be ready. Teach breathing out of the water first. Once they can get in, they can blow bubbles while working on breath control. These are just a few examples.
Children
No Data