Aquaphobia

I posted this on the Coaches Forum with no luck. I was asked to volunteer to do Lifeguarding duties, and Swim Lessons at an adult swim camp. The adults, I was informed, may have aquaphobia. I have never had this situation before. Any advice/guidance would be helpful. Thanks,
Parents
  • Fear of water is a common phobia among adults who didn't learn to swim as children, or who had some traumatic experience that asserts itself as fear of the water. It's often misunderstood or scoffed at by people who've swum since childhood. It's hard for someone who coaches to understand what it's like for an adult to get into the water for the first time. In fact, phobias often manifests as fear of something often unrelated to the actual traumatic event. For example, people who are afraid of elevators. Nothing to do with the elevator per se, but maybe they were "trapped" in a frightening situation where they felt helpless and closed in, and that's transferred itself to feeling trapped in a small space like an elevator. Or fear of horses or dogs may come from something completely unrelated to either. I suffered aqua phobia for years, because I had a lot of breathing issues as a child (though my sister insists it's because she held my head under the cow trough when we were kids to see if I would blow bubbles LOL). But I was determined to learn to swim, which I did. I still don't like to go over my head but I will, as long as I feel like I'm still in control. My recommendation is start slowly, and I mean slowly, by having people put their faces in the water for brief periods. Some may be able to, others may take a while. I found things got easier with goggles, btw. We started just holding to the side the pool and bubbling, then stretching out and bubbling, floating, always in the shallow end. It takes time, and patience. Just don't dismiss the phobia. People develop phobias for a reason. Kindness can do a lot to help an adult learner. And I do not recommend fins for beginners, though I know some teachers love them. To me, they're klutzy, heavy on the feet, and though they make you zoom they can also feel restrictive. FYI, I am looking at a very looooong layoff from swimming because of my upcoming rotator cuff surgery. I've gone from being phobic to being crazy about swimming, and I want to cry just thinking about being out of the water for six months minimum. Sorry for the long-winded post, but be assured that no matter how tough it is for your students at first, they will progress, so congratulations and best wishes to you and your students.
  • Fear of water is a common phobia among adults who didn't learn to swim as children, or who had some traumatic experience that asserts itself as fear of the water. It's often misunderstood or scoffed at by people who've swum since childhood. It's hard for someone who coaches to understand what it's like for an adult to get into the water for the first time. In fact, phobias often manifests as fear of something often unrelated to the actual traumatic event. For example, people who are afraid of elevators. Nothing to do with the elevator per se, but maybe they were "trapped" in a frightening situation where they felt helpless and closed in, and that's transferred itself to feeling trapped in a small space like an elevator. Or fear of horses or dogs may come from something completely unrelated to either. I suffered aqua phobia for years, because I had a lot of breathing issues as a child (though my sister insists it's because she held my head under the cow trough when we were kids to see if I would blow bubbles LOL). But I was determined to learn to swim, which I did. I still don't like to go over my head but I will, as long as I feel like I'm still in control. My recommendation is start slowly, and I mean slowly, by having people put their faces in the water for brief periods. Some may be able to, others may take a while. I found things got easier with goggles, btw. We started just holding to the side the pool and bubbling, then stretching out and bubbling, floating, always in the shallow end. It takes time, and patience. Just don't dismiss the phobia. People develop phobias for a reason. Kindness can do a lot to help an adult learner. And I do not recommend fins for beginners, though I know some teachers love them. To me, they're klutzy, heavy on the feet, and though they make you zoom they can also feel restrictive. FYI, I am looking at a very looooong layoff from swimming because of my upcoming rotator cuff surgery. I've gone from being phobic to being crazy about swimming, and I want to cry just thinking about being out of the water for six months minimum. Sorry for the long-winded post, but be assured that no matter how tough it is for your students at first, they will progress, so congratulations and best wishes to you and your students.
Children
No Data