Drills

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all! I've just started taking up swimming. (for about 2 months now) I try to swim 3 times a week and have been purely doing freestyle and increasing my distance each time. I finally reached my goal of 1 mile and was wondering what would be the best way to improve my 1 mile time. I completed the mile in 39min50sec so roughly a 2min30 / 100m. What training would you advice to improve this time? I have never tried drills, is this worth trying? or just keep swimming a mile each time, trying to go faster each time? Any help would be great! My future goal (a long way off) would be to do a 30 min mile! Cheers, Joey
Parents
  • Hmmm...do you always swim straight through to get the mile done? Also worth considering Apart from getting technique advice from a coach (which would put you in the right direction for drills), which I would highly recommend, you might want to consider changing your workout one day a week to a broken mile or something slightly over that distance but broken (like 1800 or 2000). Any way you'd like to break it and give yourself a good 10-15 seconds per 50 rest. In a yards pool some examples might be: 17x100, 9x200, 3x(1x500 EZ, 1x100 Hard). If you're swimming open water, you can tackle this by doing easy for a certain stroke count, then hard for a few strokes. It will help you to swim slightly faster and maintain a good technique rather than slogging through until the end. Compare it to one of these learn to run programs you see everywhere and the one mile swim is like the 5k run. Well, once you can run a 5k, they start having you throw some speed work in once a week. Same thing with the one mile swim. Have fun!
  • Hmmm...do you always swim straight through to get the mile done? Also worth considering Apart from getting technique advice from a coach (which would put you in the right direction for drills), which I would highly recommend, you might want to consider changing your workout one day a week to a broken mile or something slightly over that distance but broken (like 1800 or 2000). Any way you'd like to break it and give yourself a good 10-15 seconds per 50 rest. In a yards pool some examples might be: 17x100, 9x200, 3x(1x500 EZ, 1x100 Hard). If you're swimming open water, you can tackle this by doing easy for a certain stroke count, then hard for a few strokes. It will help you to swim slightly faster and maintain a good technique rather than slogging through until the end. Compare it to one of these learn to run programs you see everywhere and the one mile swim is like the 5k run. Well, once you can run a 5k, they start having you throw some speed work in once a week. Same thing with the one mile swim. Have fun!
Children
No Data