Why do swimmers breathe only through the mouth\nose?

Former Member
Former Member
Why do swimmers breathe in only through the mouth and breathe out only through the nose ? Considering that breathing in and out through the nose and mouth much faster, effective, isn't it stupid? :)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I know some swimmers prefer to breathe out through their nose, but I've never come across an instruction to only blow out air in that way. I think the more important point is to blow out all the air before the next inhalation. Personally, I find I do that best if I breathe out using both mouth and nose. As for inhalation, however, I think the point behind at least trying to just breathe in through the mouth is to try and avoid sucking water up the nose. If you get water in the mouth along with your breath, it's much easier to deal with.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I know some swimmers prefer to breathe out through their nose, but I've never come across an instruction to only blow out air in that way. I think the more important point is to blow out all the air before the next inhalation. Personally, I find I do that best if I breathe out using both mouth and nose. As for inhalation, however, I think the point behind at least trying to just breathe in through the mouth is to try and avoid sucking water up the nose. If you get water in the mouth along with your breath, it's much easier to deal with.
Children
No Data