Training Long Term

I've been swimming masters now for well over a decade and I've hit a bit of a lull. Last year I set my Go The Distance goal at 550 miles and missed it, so this year I revised it downward to 500 miles and as of today I'm 66 miles behind the pace I need to be at to hit that goal. I just don't have the desire to get to the pool as often, or stay in as long, as I usually do. With that introduction my question really is: how do YOU train long term? Do you try to stay consistent or do you vary from year to year? Historically I've been very consistent, but I wonder if intentionally varying things is a better long term strategy.
Parents
  • One more tip to long term happiness and continuity: don't ever get in really good shape. If you just trundle along at moderately good shape, taking the inevitable break (forced or choice) won't end up having a huge impact on your performance ;) I made the mistake of really focusing in late 2011/early 2012 and was really consistent with my training ... now it's like climbing Everest or swimming the Channel to try to get back to that level of fitness and speed. In short, embrace the joys of semi-fitness, moderation and "good enough" times :bolt:
  • One more tip to long term happiness and continuity: don't ever get in really good shape. If you just trundle along at moderately good shape, taking the inevitable break (forced or choice) won't end up having a huge impact on your performance ;) I made the mistake of really focusing in late 2011/early 2012 and was really consistent with my training ... now it's like climbing Everest or swimming the Channel to try to get back to that level of fitness and speed. In short, embrace the joys of semi-fitness, moderation and "good enough" times :bolt:
Children
No Data