Training Long Term

I've been swimming masters now for well over a decade and I've hit a bit of a lull. Last year I set my Go The Distance goal at 550 miles and missed it, so this year I revised it downward to 500 miles and as of today I'm 66 miles behind the pace I need to be at to hit that goal. I just don't have the desire to get to the pool as often, or stay in as long, as I usually do. With that introduction my question really is: how do YOU train long term? Do you try to stay consistent or do you vary from year to year? Historically I've been very consistent, but I wonder if intentionally varying things is a better long term strategy.
Parents
  • Essentially "taking a break" from swimming and doing something else for a while. If you've done that has it made you come back more motivated or did it just make it even harder to get back in the pool? yes i have done that twice. June 2011 - shoulder surgery 2 anchors for a SLAP tear - kinda had to take a break and sit on the couch for a while and eat ice cream. and May 2013 - shoulder surgery AFRIGGENGIN - bicep tenodesis - more sitting less doing and lots of ice cream got the fattest i have ever been. urrrppp! i would like to HIGHLY suggest NOT taking this approach. it hellasucks
  • Essentially "taking a break" from swimming and doing something else for a while. If you've done that has it made you come back more motivated or did it just make it even harder to get back in the pool? yes i have done that twice. June 2011 - shoulder surgery 2 anchors for a SLAP tear - kinda had to take a break and sit on the couch for a while and eat ice cream. and May 2013 - shoulder surgery AFRIGGENGIN - bicep tenodesis - more sitting less doing and lots of ice cream got the fattest i have ever been. urrrppp! i would like to HIGHLY suggest NOT taking this approach. it hellasucks
Children
No Data