Training Long Term

I've been swimming masters now for well over a decade and I've hit a bit of a lull. Last year I set my Go The Distance goal at 550 miles and missed it, so this year I revised it downward to 500 miles and as of today I'm 66 miles behind the pace I need to be at to hit that goal. I just don't have the desire to get to the pool as often, or stay in as long, as I usually do. With that introduction my question really is: how do YOU train long term? Do you try to stay consistent or do you vary from year to year? Historically I've been very consistent, but I wonder if intentionally varying things is a better long term strategy.
Parents
  • I'd like to know how to maintain motivation when you're in an enforced layoff. I'm having surgery on my shoulder and the doc said it will be from 3-6 months before I can swim. I can water walk (maybe I'll join the shower cap brigade, LOL), deep water jog in a couple of months, but no freestyle or anything that involves using my shoulder until it's well healed. I'm trying to get as much in as I can until then. But I can't even imagine what it's going to be like to get back into the pool after such a long layoff. I'm back swimming after just a couple of months and I'm nowhere near even doing a mile like I was when the shoulder issue started. :badday: Ohhh NOOO! I'm sorry to hear that, Denise. :bighug: I can relate only TOO well, as you know, since I had hip surgery this past December. I can make a suggestion based on recent experience. Set a post-surgery goal to look forward to achieving. Although I had to give up on the idea of going to the National Senior Games (three of my qualified events were breaststroke, and I was only recently able to start breaststroke kicking), I knew I could work towards competing at one of my favorite events: Georgia State Games Open Water Swim (3K & 1K races). Having a goal kept me motivated and gave me something specific to work for in physical therapy. For you, it may be swimming a mile. As soon as you have clearance, DO get back in the water to walk, jog, play, whatever. Anything you do to stay fit will help make the transition back to swimming easier. When is your surgery? Good luck! :agree:
  • I'd like to know how to maintain motivation when you're in an enforced layoff. I'm having surgery on my shoulder and the doc said it will be from 3-6 months before I can swim. I can water walk (maybe I'll join the shower cap brigade, LOL), deep water jog in a couple of months, but no freestyle or anything that involves using my shoulder until it's well healed. I'm trying to get as much in as I can until then. But I can't even imagine what it's going to be like to get back into the pool after such a long layoff. I'm back swimming after just a couple of months and I'm nowhere near even doing a mile like I was when the shoulder issue started. :badday: Ohhh NOOO! I'm sorry to hear that, Denise. :bighug: I can relate only TOO well, as you know, since I had hip surgery this past December. I can make a suggestion based on recent experience. Set a post-surgery goal to look forward to achieving. Although I had to give up on the idea of going to the National Senior Games (three of my qualified events were breaststroke, and I was only recently able to start breaststroke kicking), I knew I could work towards competing at one of my favorite events: Georgia State Games Open Water Swim (3K & 1K races). Having a goal kept me motivated and gave me something specific to work for in physical therapy. For you, it may be swimming a mile. As soon as you have clearance, DO get back in the water to walk, jog, play, whatever. Anything you do to stay fit will help make the transition back to swimming easier. When is your surgery? Good luck! :agree:
Children
No Data