Training Long Term

I've been swimming masters now for well over a decade and I've hit a bit of a lull. Last year I set my Go The Distance goal at 550 miles and missed it, so this year I revised it downward to 500 miles and as of today I'm 66 miles behind the pace I need to be at to hit that goal. I just don't have the desire to get to the pool as often, or stay in as long, as I usually do. With that introduction my question really is: how do YOU train long term? Do you try to stay consistent or do you vary from year to year? Historically I've been very consistent, but I wonder if intentionally varying things is a better long term strategy.
Parents
  • I think Patrick has a good plan in place. If your background is similar to mine, then you started at a young age. You swam summer club, age group year round, 4 years of HS and lucky enough to make it through 4 years of college swimming. Even while I served in the military I found time to get to a pool. I did not have the long competitive break off, as I started back into Masters in 1996. So just think about the amount of yards you have put in. I have only been track GTD since 2008, and I have over 3 million yards. Think about that. How many yards over a lifetime one could accumulate? Mind blowing stuff if you ask me. Steve makes a valid point about being injured. Your mental side can certainly be influence by your injury report. All was going well for me until 2007, then wham first right shoulder surgery. Came back for 2008 Nat’s in Austin and did well. Then two years later, had knee and left shoulder. Just a few weeks into 2011, March to be exact another knee surgery. The irony about the knees was neither was not due to over use of swimming, but rather getting out of the pool, slipping and damaging my meniscus. Then in April 2012, another left shoulder surgery. So I admit I was depressed because I essentially missed two years of competition. Also, many of friends have gotten out of the sport. So, I have had to try and reinvent myself and find new ways to enjoy the sport. Swimming is a very tough demanding sport. I think Waves101 makes the best point of all, find the little things that make it exciting for you and run with those. Make yourself happy.
  • I think Patrick has a good plan in place. If your background is similar to mine, then you started at a young age. You swam summer club, age group year round, 4 years of HS and lucky enough to make it through 4 years of college swimming. Even while I served in the military I found time to get to a pool. I did not have the long competitive break off, as I started back into Masters in 1996. So just think about the amount of yards you have put in. I have only been track GTD since 2008, and I have over 3 million yards. Think about that. How many yards over a lifetime one could accumulate? Mind blowing stuff if you ask me. Steve makes a valid point about being injured. Your mental side can certainly be influence by your injury report. All was going well for me until 2007, then wham first right shoulder surgery. Came back for 2008 Nat’s in Austin and did well. Then two years later, had knee and left shoulder. Just a few weeks into 2011, March to be exact another knee surgery. The irony about the knees was neither was not due to over use of swimming, but rather getting out of the pool, slipping and damaging my meniscus. Then in April 2012, another left shoulder surgery. So I admit I was depressed because I essentially missed two years of competition. Also, many of friends have gotten out of the sport. So, I have had to try and reinvent myself and find new ways to enjoy the sport. Swimming is a very tough demanding sport. I think Waves101 makes the best point of all, find the little things that make it exciting for you and run with those. Make yourself happy.
Children
No Data