Training Long Term

I've been swimming masters now for well over a decade and I've hit a bit of a lull. Last year I set my Go The Distance goal at 550 miles and missed it, so this year I revised it downward to 500 miles and as of today I'm 66 miles behind the pace I need to be at to hit that goal. I just don't have the desire to get to the pool as often, or stay in as long, as I usually do. With that introduction my question really is: how do YOU train long term? Do you try to stay consistent or do you vary from year to year? Historically I've been very consistent, but I wonder if intentionally varying things is a better long term strategy.
Parents
  • I hear you, Kirk. Its a constant struggle. I, too, have been swimming Masters since 1999 and keeping the drive and desire is a challenge. Luckily I have a great group of swimming friends who are waiting for me at the pool. Just knowing this helps me get out of bed at 5:15am in temps as low as -24 this winter (I know you lived in Michigan too) to drive to a pool and jump in. Sometimes we like the crazy part of it. I don't swim near the mileage that you do but one year I did make the MAD club in Go the Distance. After that I said to myself, who cares about the mileage, I'd rather be swimming for decades. What I learned is sometimes you do need a break (either in routine or away from swimming). Usually I schedule my away time around other activities I'm passionate about. But, always in the back of my head, I know its harder and harder to get back in shape as we age. This summer I've really enjoyed going to a new pool in a neighboring city so I can swim outside and LCM. I also try to mix in some sprinting or USRPT sets as I do believe we need to train the body to swim fast. It's the little things that make the long haul bearable. I'm also looking forward to Nats as I usually don't swim LCM. So I guess my best long term advice is find the little things that make it exciting for you and run with those. They will continuously change as we age and learn but the big picture will never really change. And that is... we all want to be swimming when we're in our (enter appropriate ages here).
  • I hear you, Kirk. Its a constant struggle. I, too, have been swimming Masters since 1999 and keeping the drive and desire is a challenge. Luckily I have a great group of swimming friends who are waiting for me at the pool. Just knowing this helps me get out of bed at 5:15am in temps as low as -24 this winter (I know you lived in Michigan too) to drive to a pool and jump in. Sometimes we like the crazy part of it. I don't swim near the mileage that you do but one year I did make the MAD club in Go the Distance. After that I said to myself, who cares about the mileage, I'd rather be swimming for decades. What I learned is sometimes you do need a break (either in routine or away from swimming). Usually I schedule my away time around other activities I'm passionate about. But, always in the back of my head, I know its harder and harder to get back in shape as we age. This summer I've really enjoyed going to a new pool in a neighboring city so I can swim outside and LCM. I also try to mix in some sprinting or USRPT sets as I do believe we need to train the body to swim fast. It's the little things that make the long haul bearable. I'm also looking forward to Nats as I usually don't swim LCM. So I guess my best long term advice is find the little things that make it exciting for you and run with those. They will continuously change as we age and learn but the big picture will never really change. And that is... we all want to be swimming when we're in our (enter appropriate ages here).
Children
No Data