Training Long Term

I've been swimming masters now for well over a decade and I've hit a bit of a lull. Last year I set my Go The Distance goal at 550 miles and missed it, so this year I revised it downward to 500 miles and as of today I'm 66 miles behind the pace I need to be at to hit that goal. I just don't have the desire to get to the pool as often, or stay in as long, as I usually do. With that introduction my question really is: how do YOU train long term? Do you try to stay consistent or do you vary from year to year? Historically I've been very consistent, but I wonder if intentionally varying things is a better long term strategy.
Parents
  • Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Not only do you swim a butt load, but you swim it super fast on intervals I can't even comprehend. Most swimmers at your load would've been forced to take a break due to injuries. But since maybe you're just resistant to injuries, could you use a well deserved vacation from the current regime? What I think of would be stuff like more drills, have fun in pool with fins, go snorkeling in the caribbean, less suffering in the pool; or like previosly mentioned, train for different events (even a 25) Listen to what your gut is telling ya
  • Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Not only do you swim a butt load, but you swim it super fast on intervals I can't even comprehend. Most swimmers at your load would've been forced to take a break due to injuries. But since maybe you're just resistant to injuries, could you use a well deserved vacation from the current regime? What I think of would be stuff like more drills, have fun in pool with fins, go snorkeling in the caribbean, less suffering in the pool; or like previosly mentioned, train for different events (even a 25) Listen to what your gut is telling ya
Children
No Data