Training Long Term

I've been swimming masters now for well over a decade and I've hit a bit of a lull. Last year I set my Go The Distance goal at 550 miles and missed it, so this year I revised it downward to 500 miles and as of today I'm 66 miles behind the pace I need to be at to hit that goal. I just don't have the desire to get to the pool as often, or stay in as long, as I usually do. With that introduction my question really is: how do YOU train long term? Do you try to stay consistent or do you vary from year to year? Historically I've been very consistent, but I wonder if intentionally varying things is a better long term strategy.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Kirk, I have read your blog for a longtime, when you were posting one. I have always admired your dedication and work ethic for swimming. When you were swimming with the age group kids, the workouts were almost the same everyday, long distance with short rest. I couldn't help but wonder if those workouts were doing you more harm than good because of age difference. You have a tremendous training background. Why not change up your entire routine. Before anyone starts throwing stones, shooting bullets, chasing me with a pitchfork, take a moment to read Josh Davis' article on Swimswam about doing usrpt. Granted, if you are like me, you probably want to swim for more than 30 minutes, but his point is that we don't have to that kind of training all the time or anymore(your preference) Why not for 5 or 6 months, do more usrpt training ideas, where you are racing 25's,50's, 75's at a faster pace, instead of waiting until 3 weeks or so before the big meet. I have spoken to Glenn about this in the past and like the basic idea. You don't have to do it forever but it might be a nice break from how you have trained in the past. Just my $.01.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Kirk, I have read your blog for a longtime, when you were posting one. I have always admired your dedication and work ethic for swimming. When you were swimming with the age group kids, the workouts were almost the same everyday, long distance with short rest. I couldn't help but wonder if those workouts were doing you more harm than good because of age difference. You have a tremendous training background. Why not change up your entire routine. Before anyone starts throwing stones, shooting bullets, chasing me with a pitchfork, take a moment to read Josh Davis' article on Swimswam about doing usrpt. Granted, if you are like me, you probably want to swim for more than 30 minutes, but his point is that we don't have to that kind of training all the time or anymore(your preference) Why not for 5 or 6 months, do more usrpt training ideas, where you are racing 25's,50's, 75's at a faster pace, instead of waiting until 3 weeks or so before the big meet. I have spoken to Glenn about this in the past and like the basic idea. You don't have to do it forever but it might be a nice break from how you have trained in the past. Just my $.01.
Children
No Data