Training Long Term

I've been swimming masters now for well over a decade and I've hit a bit of a lull. Last year I set my Go The Distance goal at 550 miles and missed it, so this year I revised it downward to 500 miles and as of today I'm 66 miles behind the pace I need to be at to hit that goal. I just don't have the desire to get to the pool as often, or stay in as long, as I usually do. With that introduction my question really is: how do YOU train long term? Do you try to stay consistent or do you vary from year to year? Historically I've been very consistent, but I wonder if intentionally varying things is a better long term strategy.
Parents
  • kirk i think you have to vary or else you will get ground down. I agree with my friend from Austin(for a change). I have significantly reduced my yardage over the past 12 months and I have added more quality race pace work into my practices. I suspect this will get a little stale at some point and will mix it up again. I am also branching out and swimming events I never thought I would do; recently I did 50s in all strokes at a LCM meet. I think you have to mix it up in training and in meets or it can get stale. I am considering getting my USAS coaching certs and even doing some kids coaching(if I can fit it into my work schedule) which is another way I am considering being involved but bringing some variety to my routine. I would not worry about the yardage but I would look for something that gets you reinvigorated again. There is nothing worse than loosing your mojo!
  • kirk i think you have to vary or else you will get ground down. I agree with my friend from Austin(for a change). I have significantly reduced my yardage over the past 12 months and I have added more quality race pace work into my practices. I suspect this will get a little stale at some point and will mix it up again. I am also branching out and swimming events I never thought I would do; recently I did 50s in all strokes at a LCM meet. I think you have to mix it up in training and in meets or it can get stale. I am considering getting my USAS coaching certs and even doing some kids coaching(if I can fit it into my work schedule) which is another way I am considering being involved but bringing some variety to my routine. I would not worry about the yardage but I would look for something that gets you reinvigorated again. There is nothing worse than loosing your mojo!
Children
No Data