Stopped up nose

Former Member
Former Member
I have noticed that after swimming my nose is starting to stop up. I have been swimming at the same pool for about 3 years so I don't think it's the pool (could be wrong though). It tends to happen after longer swims with little to no rest (straight 3000) in comparison to shorter workouts with more recovery (2000). It lasts for the day and night that I swim but is gone the next morning. Any ideas as to why? How to stop this? Thanks in advance Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I started having this problem years ago. I wondered if I was allergic to chlorine. I saw an allergist, who explained to me that a person can't be allergic to chlorine because the molecular structure of chlorine is such that it is not an allergen. BUT, it is an irritant to the sinuses. So if a person has a mild allergy to something else, it may not normally cause any issues but if the person then starts getting chlorinated water into the sinuses, that could be enough to exacerbate the allergy symptoms that might not be noticeable otherwise. He tested me for allergies and the results showed that I had a few mild ones, to things that are hard to avoid (like mold). He put me on a couple of prescription allergy medications. They worked but I didn't really like the idea of being on drugs for something that to me was a fairly minor thing. So I stopped taking the drugs and tried a nose clip instead. The nose clip worked just as well! Fast forward, many years later. I swim in a different pool now and got curious a few months ago as to whether I still even needed the nose clip. So I swam without it a couple of times and, sure enough, my nose was stopped up all night. So I do still need the nose clip, and it still does solve the problem. Anna Lea
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I started having this problem years ago. I wondered if I was allergic to chlorine. I saw an allergist, who explained to me that a person can't be allergic to chlorine because the molecular structure of chlorine is such that it is not an allergen. BUT, it is an irritant to the sinuses. So if a person has a mild allergy to something else, it may not normally cause any issues but if the person then starts getting chlorinated water into the sinuses, that could be enough to exacerbate the allergy symptoms that might not be noticeable otherwise. He tested me for allergies and the results showed that I had a few mild ones, to things that are hard to avoid (like mold). He put me on a couple of prescription allergy medications. They worked but I didn't really like the idea of being on drugs for something that to me was a fairly minor thing. So I stopped taking the drugs and tried a nose clip instead. The nose clip worked just as well! Fast forward, many years later. I swim in a different pool now and got curious a few months ago as to whether I still even needed the nose clip. So I swam without it a couple of times and, sure enough, my nose was stopped up all night. So I do still need the nose clip, and it still does solve the problem. Anna Lea
Children
No Data