Need help on freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
I am getting back into swimming after being in competitive swimming 20 years ago and I find when I am swimming freestyle, I do cup my hands but my middle is sinking. Any tips?
Parents
  • I agree with Allen for sure but it does sound like you may need to work on your core strength. When swimming freestyle imagine your body in a straight line, slipping through a thin tube and stuck on a spit. While stroking your body rotates back and forth on this spit in a straight line. To maintain this straight body line you must have good control and strength in your core. Last week a series of core exercises for swimmers was posted on the USMS webpage. Go back to the main page and scroll through the articles till you find it. I promise these exercises won't hurt your swimming no matter what. This would be a great place to start.
  • I agree with Allen for sure but it does sound like you may need to work on your core strength. When swimming freestyle imagine your body in a straight line, slipping through a thin tube and stuck on a spit. While stroking your body rotates back and forth on this spit in a straight line. To maintain this straight body line you must have good control and strength in your core. Last week a series of core exercises for swimmers was posted on the USMS webpage. Go back to the main page and scroll through the articles till you find it. I promise these exercises won't hurt your swimming no matter what. This would be a great place to start.
Children
No Data