Motivation - Pushing farther

Former Member
Former Member
I just started swimming at the gym due to back issues (about a year now). When I started I could only do about five laps w/o stopping. I've now progressed to 20 laps every day w/o stopping. My issue, I cannot motivate myself to go further. I did 50 laps once, I know it is possible now. However, I cannot seem to push myself to do it every day. I think I simply get bored going back and forth in the pool. I'd like to do open water, perhaps 3-5 miles yet without practice of longer than 20 laps I simply don't feel I"ll be ready. I wonder if any of you have a way to continue going back and forth without something to motivate? I am hoping when the water warms in the local bodies of water I'll be able to push farther but as much of the year is cold here in VT I'd like your input.
Parents
  • You may be getting bored if you're just doing the 20 laps straight through. Try mixing things up a bit and if you are a USMS member, you have access to all kinds of workouts on this forum. Use them. But you should try to break up the workout by playing with the clock. For example, start out with 200 yards just to warm up. Then do 4x50's, each one getting a bit faster. Then mix things up a bit by doing some 75's where you kick 25 yards , then swim 50. Then try to do something else in a certain amount of time. Next thing you know, you've gone further than you have before and actually probably are getting a better workout than by just drudging along straight through.
  • You may be getting bored if you're just doing the 20 laps straight through. Try mixing things up a bit and if you are a USMS member, you have access to all kinds of workouts on this forum. Use them. But you should try to break up the workout by playing with the clock. For example, start out with 200 yards just to warm up. Then do 4x50's, each one getting a bit faster. Then mix things up a bit by doing some 75's where you kick 25 yards , then swim 50. Then try to do something else in a certain amount of time. Next thing you know, you've gone further than you have before and actually probably are getting a better workout than by just drudging along straight through.
Children
No Data