Motivation - Pushing farther

Former Member
Former Member
I just started swimming at the gym due to back issues (about a year now). When I started I could only do about five laps w/o stopping. I've now progressed to 20 laps every day w/o stopping. My issue, I cannot motivate myself to go further. I did 50 laps once, I know it is possible now. However, I cannot seem to push myself to do it every day. I think I simply get bored going back and forth in the pool. I'd like to do open water, perhaps 3-5 miles yet without practice of longer than 20 laps I simply don't feel I"ll be ready. I wonder if any of you have a way to continue going back and forth without something to motivate? I am hoping when the water warms in the local bodies of water I'll be able to push farther but as much of the year is cold here in VT I'd like your input.
Parents
  • My motivation can wane when I don't have an event towards which I'm training. There are shorter open water events you can enter (a mile or shorter). I find that once I click submit on registration for an event, motivation kicks in immediately. I also recommend varying workouts rather than just swimming freestyle laps. I only enter open water events, but I train on all four strokes, add kick and pull sets, and I even include some sprint sets (which actually have improved my distance pace).
  • My motivation can wane when I don't have an event towards which I'm training. There are shorter open water events you can enter (a mile or shorter). I find that once I click submit on registration for an event, motivation kicks in immediately. I also recommend varying workouts rather than just swimming freestyle laps. I only enter open water events, but I train on all four strokes, add kick and pull sets, and I even include some sprint sets (which actually have improved my distance pace).
Children
No Data