Sore shoulders from kicking with a kick board

Other than stop using a kick board does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce shoulder soreness associated with using a kick board. We have been really working on kick as part of our LCM training this season and my quads are sore but by far and a way my shoulders hurt the most. During the kick set I am fine but a few hours later my shoulders are stiff and sore.
Parents
  • Other than stop using a kick board.... I'm curious why dispensing with the kickboard isn't an option. I have shoulder issues and have completely given up using one. I can do all the kicking I want (flutter front and back, and whip kick) without one. Losing the board also gives me the flexibility to use different arm positions during kick sets. Streamlined (typically flutter kick on my back) One arm forward, one back (flutter kick on front or back) Both arms back (flutter kick on front or back, typically working on rotation) Kick on back with arms in the air ("catch up" backstroke kick) Underwater (generally dolphin or flutter kick on my back or side) A smaller kickboard such as @DeniseMW suggested might help if you still want to use one. It will have less flotation, and allow your hands to press into the water, taking some strain off your shoulders.
  • Other than stop using a kick board.... I'm curious why dispensing with the kickboard isn't an option. I have shoulder issues and have completely given up using one. I can do all the kicking I want (flutter front and back, and whip kick) without one. Losing the board also gives me the flexibility to use different arm positions during kick sets. Streamlined (typically flutter kick on my back) One arm forward, one back (flutter kick on front or back) Both arms back (flutter kick on front or back, typically working on rotation) Kick on back with arms in the air ("catch up" backstroke kick) Underwater (generally dolphin or flutter kick on my back or side) A smaller kickboard such as @DeniseMW suggested might help if you still want to use one. It will have less flotation, and allow your hands to press into the water, taking some strain off your shoulders.
Children
No Data