Allergy to Goggles (Carba Mix and Thiuram Mix)

Former Member
Former Member
After swimming for 10 years with no problem, I recently developed a bad reaction to my goggles. Every time I wear them the skin around my eyes (and other parts of my face) swells and turns red, itchy, and scaly. I went through allergy patch testing at the dermatologist's, and they diagnosed an allergy to two groups of chemicals, Thiuram Mix and Carba Mix. These are rubber accelerators used to turn raw rubber into rubber products. I tried latex-free googles - it didn't help. I also tried Swedes, and I still get a reaction, although not quite as bad (maybe from the strap and nosepiece?) I tried a bungee cord, but it didn't help, probably because the chemicals are found in most elastics. I have tried to contact TYR and Speedo to see if they make any goggles that don't use these chemicals, but so far I've only gotten the email equivalent of a blank stare. So, has anyone ever heard of or experienced this? Any ideas on what might work? I read older forum discussions from ~2008 where people complained of similar issues, but no one seemed to have a solution. Thanks for your help! For the chemists out there, these are the specific chemicals I'm trying to avoid: tetramethylthiuram monosulfide, tetramethylthiuram disulfide, tetraethylthiuram disulfide, dipentamethylenethiuram disulfide, zinc diethyldithiocarbamate, zinc dibutyldithiocarbamate, and diphenylguanidine.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thanks! I will give Barracudas a try. At this point, I'm happy to try anything that has a chance at working. It's also good to know that this may not be a "forever" problem.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Thanks! I will give Barracudas a try. At this point, I'm happy to try anything that has a chance at working. It's also good to know that this may not be a "forever" problem.
Children
No Data