Allergy to Goggles (Carba Mix and Thiuram Mix)

Former Member
Former Member
After swimming for 10 years with no problem, I recently developed a bad reaction to my goggles. Every time I wear them the skin around my eyes (and other parts of my face) swells and turns red, itchy, and scaly. I went through allergy patch testing at the dermatologist's, and they diagnosed an allergy to two groups of chemicals, Thiuram Mix and Carba Mix. These are rubber accelerators used to turn raw rubber into rubber products. I tried latex-free googles - it didn't help. I also tried Swedes, and I still get a reaction, although not quite as bad (maybe from the strap and nosepiece?) I tried a bungee cord, but it didn't help, probably because the chemicals are found in most elastics. I have tried to contact TYR and Speedo to see if they make any goggles that don't use these chemicals, but so far I've only gotten the email equivalent of a blank stare. So, has anyone ever heard of or experienced this? Any ideas on what might work? I read older forum discussions from ~2008 where people complained of similar issues, but no one seemed to have a solution. Thanks for your help! For the chemists out there, these are the specific chemicals I'm trying to avoid: tetramethylthiuram monosulfide, tetramethylthiuram disulfide, tetraethylthiuram disulfide, dipentamethylenethiuram disulfide, zinc diethyldithiocarbamate, zinc dibutyldithiocarbamate, and diphenylguanidine.
Parents
  • 25 years ago I randomly had the same eye reaction allergy to my goggles. I was using the old school speedo black foam goggles. I didn't go to a Doctor or Allergist, I just started eliminating anything I used on my face and eye area and found the goggles to be the culprit. I switched to the Barracuda brand goggles; they use a replaceable white foamy type gasket around the eye area. The switch immediately solved my problem. I exclusively wore Barracuda's for 3 or 4 years. Now I'm back to using any type of goggle I want with no reaction from my eyes. My point is that this may be a temporary situation for you. Good luck! www.amazon.com/.../ I used The Standard, and The Medalist. These goggles take a little getting used to but become extremely comfortable and tend to not leave goggle rings. You can purchase replacement kits for the eye gasket and straps so they are economically efficient.
  • 25 years ago I randomly had the same eye reaction allergy to my goggles. I was using the old school speedo black foam goggles. I didn't go to a Doctor or Allergist, I just started eliminating anything I used on my face and eye area and found the goggles to be the culprit. I switched to the Barracuda brand goggles; they use a replaceable white foamy type gasket around the eye area. The switch immediately solved my problem. I exclusively wore Barracuda's for 3 or 4 years. Now I'm back to using any type of goggle I want with no reaction from my eyes. My point is that this may be a temporary situation for you. Good luck! www.amazon.com/.../ I used The Standard, and The Medalist. These goggles take a little getting used to but become extremely comfortable and tend to not leave goggle rings. You can purchase replacement kits for the eye gasket and straps so they are economically efficient.
Children
No Data