Does being overweight affect swimming performances?

I'm 70 yrs old and started swimming last August. I'm swimming with an awesome Masters team. I've lost quite a bit of weight, still have 20lbs to go; I'm getting there but have two questions: 1: Am I pulling an extra 20lbs with each pull? At first it seems an obvious yes, but I wonder if being in water makes it different. 2: When the weight is off will it be easier for me to get and stay underwater? - I'm having a tough time pushing off the wall streamline underwater. odd questions I know, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me? Thanks, Pam
Parents
  • Lots of great thoughts here! I think it is wonderful that you've started on the swimming journey and are keen to improve. Although it is great to continue losing the weight, that is not the only key to improvement in swimming. In fact, size is not really as much of an issue as is the level of conditioning you have and the efficiency of your technique. Continuing to develop your conditioning and improving your technique, in addition to the carefully planned additional loss of weight, will all work in your favor. You mentioned that you swim on a masters team - would your coach be able to work with you on your turn technique? Your difficulty in pushing off the wall underwater may not be weight-related. It may have to do with where you are placing your feet on the wall before pushing off, or how you are transitioning off the wall. In swimming, conditioning and technique are the ultimate keys to success. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are progressing!
  • Lots of great thoughts here! I think it is wonderful that you've started on the swimming journey and are keen to improve. Although it is great to continue losing the weight, that is not the only key to improvement in swimming. In fact, size is not really as much of an issue as is the level of conditioning you have and the efficiency of your technique. Continuing to develop your conditioning and improving your technique, in addition to the carefully planned additional loss of weight, will all work in your favor. You mentioned that you swim on a masters team - would your coach be able to work with you on your turn technique? Your difficulty in pushing off the wall underwater may not be weight-related. It may have to do with where you are placing your feet on the wall before pushing off, or how you are transitioning off the wall. In swimming, conditioning and technique are the ultimate keys to success. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are progressing!
Children
No Data