Does being overweight affect swimming performances?

I'm 70 yrs old and started swimming last August. I'm swimming with an awesome Masters team. I've lost quite a bit of weight, still have 20lbs to go; I'm getting there but have two questions: 1: Am I pulling an extra 20lbs with each pull? At first it seems an obvious yes, but I wonder if being in water makes it different. 2: When the weight is off will it be easier for me to get and stay underwater? - I'm having a tough time pushing off the wall streamline underwater. odd questions I know, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me? Thanks, Pam
Parents
  • Drag is going to slow you down, but you also need to exert force against the water to actually accelerate you forward and that is directly related to weight (via mass). F= ma. A greater force is required to accelerate a heavier object. F does = ma, and in a vacuum m would be the only thing affecting a. As noted above, in a fluid there are other forces affecting a that are much more important than weight. Which is going to take more force to accelerate in the water a 10 lb surfboard or a 5 lb open parachute?
  • Drag is going to slow you down, but you also need to exert force against the water to actually accelerate you forward and that is directly related to weight (via mass). F= ma. A greater force is required to accelerate a heavier object. F does = ma, and in a vacuum m would be the only thing affecting a. As noted above, in a fluid there are other forces affecting a that are much more important than weight. Which is going to take more force to accelerate in the water a 10 lb surfboard or a 5 lb open parachute?
Children
No Data