Does being overweight affect swimming performances?

I'm 70 yrs old and started swimming last August. I'm swimming with an awesome Masters team. I've lost quite a bit of weight, still have 20lbs to go; I'm getting there but have two questions: 1: Am I pulling an extra 20lbs with each pull? At first it seems an obvious yes, but I wonder if being in water makes it different. 2: When the weight is off will it be easier for me to get and stay underwater? - I'm having a tough time pushing off the wall streamline underwater. odd questions I know, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me? Thanks, Pam
Parents
  • The second issue isn't apropos to this, but there is another drag, wave drag. It isn't a big factor at low speeds, but since it increases as roughly the cube of speed, it quickly becomes the main drag. The best way to deal with wave drag is to avoid it hence SDK and BR pullout. Actually, I wonder if it is relevant. She mentioned "having a tough time pushing streamlined of the wall". That can be due to a number of things, including it just being plain difficult to streamline. The first week or so I was back in the pool I encountered this drag force head on and it felt like a load of bricks stopping me in my path. I was surprised because I never had felt anything like it in all my years swimming and was shocked at how strong it was despite my slow speeds. I just remembered I needed to get under that bugger and fixed it up. To the OP, since you have a coach, you might want to get their opinion of your turn. They could tell you if you're deep enough but coming up short or too shallow and getting knocked around and help you to fix it up.
  • The second issue isn't apropos to this, but there is another drag, wave drag. It isn't a big factor at low speeds, but since it increases as roughly the cube of speed, it quickly becomes the main drag. The best way to deal with wave drag is to avoid it hence SDK and BR pullout. Actually, I wonder if it is relevant. She mentioned "having a tough time pushing streamlined of the wall". That can be due to a number of things, including it just being plain difficult to streamline. The first week or so I was back in the pool I encountered this drag force head on and it felt like a load of bricks stopping me in my path. I was surprised because I never had felt anything like it in all my years swimming and was shocked at how strong it was despite my slow speeds. I just remembered I needed to get under that bugger and fixed it up. To the OP, since you have a coach, you might want to get their opinion of your turn. They could tell you if you're deep enough but coming up short or too shallow and getting knocked around and help you to fix it up.
Children
No Data