Does being overweight affect swimming performances?

I'm 70 yrs old and started swimming last August. I'm swimming with an awesome Masters team. I've lost quite a bit of weight, still have 20lbs to go; I'm getting there but have two questions: 1: Am I pulling an extra 20lbs with each pull? At first it seems an obvious yes, but I wonder if being in water makes it different. 2: When the weight is off will it be easier for me to get and stay underwater? - I'm having a tough time pushing off the wall streamline underwater. odd questions I know, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me? Thanks, Pam
Parents
  • Thanks everyone - great answers. And thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement - it means a lot. I'm looking forward to getting the weight off because I know I'll feel better, and I'm looking forward to swimming longer and faster...(grin). The really nice thing is that I've found something I truly love and the more weight I lose the more I can swim - the more I swim the more weight I lose. - Thanks again :-)
  • Thanks everyone - great answers. And thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement - it means a lot. I'm looking forward to getting the weight off because I know I'll feel better, and I'm looking forward to swimming longer and faster...(grin). The really nice thing is that I've found something I truly love and the more weight I lose the more I can swim - the more I swim the more weight I lose. - Thanks again :-)
Children
No Data