Does being overweight affect swimming performances?

I'm 70 yrs old and started swimming last August. I'm swimming with an awesome Masters team. I've lost quite a bit of weight, still have 20lbs to go; I'm getting there but have two questions: 1: Am I pulling an extra 20lbs with each pull? At first it seems an obvious yes, but I wonder if being in water makes it different. 2: When the weight is off will it be easier for me to get and stay underwater? - I'm having a tough time pushing off the wall streamline underwater. odd questions I know, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me? Thanks, Pam
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    To lose lots of weight, for me at least, made me feel fantastic in the water from what I remember. Not sure if this would have less of an effect on higher distances, but my 50 and 100 free time reduced drastically. Not sure if it was in my head though. Im currently losing weight again, and am gonna try to maintain around 175. I got heavier so I could improve my lifts, and I just don't feel as streamline in the water.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    To lose lots of weight, for me at least, made me feel fantastic in the water from what I remember. Not sure if this would have less of an effect on higher distances, but my 50 and 100 free time reduced drastically. Not sure if it was in my head though. Im currently losing weight again, and am gonna try to maintain around 175. I got heavier so I could improve my lifts, and I just don't feel as streamline in the water.
Children
No Data