Does being overweight affect swimming performances?

I'm 70 yrs old and started swimming last August. I'm swimming with an awesome Masters team. I've lost quite a bit of weight, still have 20lbs to go; I'm getting there but have two questions: 1: Am I pulling an extra 20lbs with each pull? At first it seems an obvious yes, but I wonder if being in water makes it different. 2: When the weight is off will it be easier for me to get and stay underwater? - I'm having a tough time pushing off the wall streamline underwater. odd questions I know, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me? Thanks, Pam
Parents
  • As robrecht alluded to...the extra weight caused by fat does affect your performance in the pool...but to a lesser extent than other exercises (on land). Fat is lighter, so in the water it creates buoyancy. It floats. It's not working against you as much as it would if you were running...where buoyancy doesn't matter. It's just extra weight. But, if the extra weight happened to be muscle...like if you were a bodybuilder for example...that would work against you more than the fat in the pool because muscle is more dense and sinks. You'd be working harder to keep yourself afloat. But...depending on the amount of muscle weight, and you're swimming technique...sometime the extra muscle weight can be overcome. Dan
  • As robrecht alluded to...the extra weight caused by fat does affect your performance in the pool...but to a lesser extent than other exercises (on land). Fat is lighter, so in the water it creates buoyancy. It floats. It's not working against you as much as it would if you were running...where buoyancy doesn't matter. It's just extra weight. But, if the extra weight happened to be muscle...like if you were a bodybuilder for example...that would work against you more than the fat in the pool because muscle is more dense and sinks. You'd be working harder to keep yourself afloat. But...depending on the amount of muscle weight, and you're swimming technique...sometime the extra muscle weight can be overcome. Dan
Children
No Data