College kids and Burnout

So, my son is a college swimmer, home for the summer before his Senior year. He's swimming three times a week, at most, going to the gym 2-3 x a week. He says he is transitioning to other things. I don't get it! He had a 2 year break between his sophomore and junior years while he went to Europe. You'd think that he would want to really get back in shape and go out with a bang, but he acts like being just an average swimmer is ok. Here I am wishing I could put MORE time into swimming and I can't, and he has plenty of time, and won't! I've tried to persuade him to give this last year all he's got, but I think I'm fighting a losing battle. And I don't want a battle. Feeling sad, cuz it's the end of an era.
Parents
  • I'm sure this is true, but I have a feeling more kids quit swimming during college because they feel like they are missing out on the whole college experience by spending so much time in the pool, not because they are concentrating on grades or finding a job. I agree with this. I just think that the whole college experience ought to include getting out of bed before noon, and going to bed before 1am.
  • I'm sure this is true, but I have a feeling more kids quit swimming during college because they feel like they are missing out on the whole college experience by spending so much time in the pool, not because they are concentrating on grades or finding a job. I agree with this. I just think that the whole college experience ought to include getting out of bed before noon, and going to bed before 1am.
Children
No Data