College kids and Burnout

So, my son is a college swimmer, home for the summer before his Senior year. He's swimming three times a week, at most, going to the gym 2-3 x a week. He says he is transitioning to other things. I don't get it! He had a 2 year break between his sophomore and junior years while he went to Europe. You'd think that he would want to really get back in shape and go out with a bang, but he acts like being just an average swimmer is ok. Here I am wishing I could put MORE time into swimming and I can't, and he has plenty of time, and won't! I've tried to persuade him to give this last year all he's got, but I think I'm fighting a losing battle. And I don't want a battle. Feeling sad, cuz it's the end of an era.
Parents
  • You know, I don't appreciate being called a Helicopter Parent. YOU haven't seen how I behave at home or at meets at all. In fact, many people wonder if I'm even interested in his events, because I sit quietly while he swims (clutching my hands nervously) and don't hop up and down like some people. I just wanted a little commiseration, because it IS sad, the end of an era. We spend years going to swim meets practically every weekend, pour a lot of money into the sport, send them to expensive schools, because this one actually has a MEN's swim team, and then it all suddenly comes to a close. I'm proud of him doing so well in school, and being concerned about the future. In case you didn't read, Orca, I mentioned that he took a 2 year hiatus from swimming to go to Europe - serving a mission for the Church - where he didn't swim a single lap - and I am extremely proud of him for doing this, and sacrificing his time and money AND swimming career (and a swimming scholarship) to do so. I knew he would come back from the Netherlands different, but he says he wants to swim. So if he wants to swim, why not give it all he's got? (He actually did BEST TIMES last year, after only having been back in the water for about 6-1/2 months.) And although you may say that in 10 years it might not matter whether he went a second faster on that event or not, it might matter - there's nothing like "if only I had. . ." to make you regret things you did when younger. I know it's his choice, and I support his choice, I'm just sad, and thought other parents might have been through this too, and knew how it felt. Sad. Did I also mention he's the 5th child of 5? Just sad.
  • You know, I don't appreciate being called a Helicopter Parent. YOU haven't seen how I behave at home or at meets at all. In fact, many people wonder if I'm even interested in his events, because I sit quietly while he swims (clutching my hands nervously) and don't hop up and down like some people. I just wanted a little commiseration, because it IS sad, the end of an era. We spend years going to swim meets practically every weekend, pour a lot of money into the sport, send them to expensive schools, because this one actually has a MEN's swim team, and then it all suddenly comes to a close. I'm proud of him doing so well in school, and being concerned about the future. In case you didn't read, Orca, I mentioned that he took a 2 year hiatus from swimming to go to Europe - serving a mission for the Church - where he didn't swim a single lap - and I am extremely proud of him for doing this, and sacrificing his time and money AND swimming career (and a swimming scholarship) to do so. I knew he would come back from the Netherlands different, but he says he wants to swim. So if he wants to swim, why not give it all he's got? (He actually did BEST TIMES last year, after only having been back in the water for about 6-1/2 months.) And although you may say that in 10 years it might not matter whether he went a second faster on that event or not, it might matter - there's nothing like "if only I had. . ." to make you regret things you did when younger. I know it's his choice, and I support his choice, I'm just sad, and thought other parents might have been through this too, and knew how it felt. Sad. Did I also mention he's the 5th child of 5? Just sad.
Children
No Data