College kids and Burnout

So, my son is a college swimmer, home for the summer before his Senior year. He's swimming three times a week, at most, going to the gym 2-3 x a week. He says he is transitioning to other things. I don't get it! He had a 2 year break between his sophomore and junior years while he went to Europe. You'd think that he would want to really get back in shape and go out with a bang, but he acts like being just an average swimmer is ok. Here I am wishing I could put MORE time into swimming and I can't, and he has plenty of time, and won't! I've tried to persuade him to give this last year all he's got, but I think I'm fighting a losing battle. And I don't want a battle. Feeling sad, cuz it's the end of an era.
Parents
  • George Bernard Shaw: "Youth is wasted on the young". When you're young, you feel immortal and old age seems a distant impossibility. You aren't aware that the years shrink and time accelerates; for the young, it seems like there will always be a next time. They don't realize how lucky they are to be young with all of their energy, hope, physical prowess, and life's dreams ahead. But you do, because you have wisdom that came from living and can not be "instructed." I'm betting he works it out; when your young you bounce-back so quickly and it's so much easier. It's terrific that he intends to swim through his senior year. I quit after sophomore year and have regretted it ever since-what a dummy i was after all of that swimming and work. But there were other things going on in my life that were equally, or perhaps even more important, and I needed to work those out. Relish the remaining year and the "end of the era," don't let the dilemma of your age difference and wisdom impact your perspective or his.
  • George Bernard Shaw: "Youth is wasted on the young". When you're young, you feel immortal and old age seems a distant impossibility. You aren't aware that the years shrink and time accelerates; for the young, it seems like there will always be a next time. They don't realize how lucky they are to be young with all of their energy, hope, physical prowess, and life's dreams ahead. But you do, because you have wisdom that came from living and can not be "instructed." I'm betting he works it out; when your young you bounce-back so quickly and it's so much easier. It's terrific that he intends to swim through his senior year. I quit after sophomore year and have regretted it ever since-what a dummy i was after all of that swimming and work. But there were other things going on in my life that were equally, or perhaps even more important, and I needed to work those out. Relish the remaining year and the "end of the era," don't let the dilemma of your age difference and wisdom impact your perspective or his.
Children
No Data