College kids and Burnout

So, my son is a college swimmer, home for the summer before his Senior year. He's swimming three times a week, at most, going to the gym 2-3 x a week. He says he is transitioning to other things. I don't get it! He had a 2 year break between his sophomore and junior years while he went to Europe. You'd think that he would want to really get back in shape and go out with a bang, but he acts like being just an average swimmer is ok. Here I am wishing I could put MORE time into swimming and I can't, and he has plenty of time, and won't! I've tried to persuade him to give this last year all he's got, but I think I'm fighting a losing battle. And I don't want a battle. Feeling sad, cuz it's the end of an era.
Parents
  • By the time I was approaching senior year, I had so many other interests and stress factors to focus on. I didn't swim a stroke that summer and still performed well during the season. As immature as it sounds now, turning 21, finishing school with decent grades, finding a (real) job, etc were bigger priorities and I couldn't wait until swim season was over. It took me 17 years to find my love for the pool again. As much as you want him "to go out with a bang," he's still staying in shape now, and you don't want to make him resent the sport. Sometimes it's harder on the parents than it is on the kids. And trust me, at Senior Rec night, he'll feel it too.
  • By the time I was approaching senior year, I had so many other interests and stress factors to focus on. I didn't swim a stroke that summer and still performed well during the season. As immature as it sounds now, turning 21, finishing school with decent grades, finding a (real) job, etc were bigger priorities and I couldn't wait until swim season was over. It took me 17 years to find my love for the pool again. As much as you want him "to go out with a bang," he's still staying in shape now, and you don't want to make him resent the sport. Sometimes it's harder on the parents than it is on the kids. And trust me, at Senior Rec night, he'll feel it too.
Children
No Data