Practice Starts when No Diving Allowed?

How should one prepare for starts when you're not allowed to use the blocks? Or even the side of the pool. The other day since I was the only one at the pool and the head lifeguard was on duty I got a chance to go off the blocks for the first time in a gazillion years. Holy moly! After diving in, completing a lap was a struggle. Could be my technique is gone, could be lack of strength (probably both) but the only thing for sure is a single start sucked the life out of me. Unfortunately, getting this opportunity was an anomaly and I can't count on getting to practice them again before the rare meet I can attend. I could go at length about the options I've looked into but the bottom line is getting opportunities for starts just isn't going to happen unless the moon and stars collide. So what can I do to prep for starts? Anything that I might be able to do in the pool to mimic the force I felt all around me (which I'm pretty sure was what sucked my energy)? I feel like I asked this question years ago but I can't find any similar threads. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Weights, plyometrics, and even running 10 second sprints have helped my start conditioning. But there's no replacing actual block time, or simple dives from the side of pool, to get the form tuned in
  • Where you did the start - are you on a team there? If not , you might want to find out when they practice and ask if you can join in.
  • When it comes to practicing starts at lap swim, I utilize the axiom "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission." I find that if you act real serious, nobody stops you regardless of what the policy supposedly is. I start by standing behind the block, using it to do some stretches. Then I do some arm windmills, then bend over at the waist and do some vertical jumps somewhat simulating a start. Then I put my goggles on, stand behind the block with both hands on it, and do the "1000 mile stare" down the lane. Then, with my focus never shifting away from dead forward, I slowly climb on the block, get in the starting position, and go. Whatever you do, never look at a lifeguard at any point in the process like you're wondering if its OK. Act like its normal. Most of the time, nobody says a thing to me. When they do, I say something like, "I'm on the Masters swim team and am training for a big meet coming up soon." Almost invariably, they respond with "Oh, OK" and we both go about our business. If that doesn't work for you, remember that there's usually a dedicated "sprint lane" during warm up at a maters meet where you can practice race starts off the blocks.
  • When it comes to practicing starts at lap swim, I utilize the axiom "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."I wouldn’t suggest this at the pool I use. They are serious about safety and they are likely to kick you out for diving from the blocks.
  • When it comes to practicing starts at lap swim, I utilize the axiom "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission." I'm pretty sure that would get you kicked out at the YMCA here in town, especially if you didn't stop after the first dive. I can't imagine one dive would make all that much difference to the OP's technique. I agree with Rob about the sprint/start lane at meets. Anything else would seem to be too involved (at least in my eyes), unless you happen to be looking for a team to join.
  • I'm pretty sure that would get you kicked out at the YMCA here in town, especially if you didn't stop after the first dive. I can't imagine one dive would make all that much difference to the OP's technique. I agree with Rob about the sprint/start lane at meets. Anything else would seem to be too involved (at least in my eyes), unless you happen to be looking for a team to join. Obviously you stop if they tell you "no." But you'd be surprised how often nobody says anything.
  • You might have better luck during non-lap swimming times. Often the diving boards will be open then and it seems like there'd be a chance the guards would let you practice diving from the side as long as you're in an area where it's safe to do so.
  • Is there a dive team in your area? Dive teams usually practice their dives utilizing dryland methods. Consult your local dive team if there is one in your area.
  • You might have better luck during non-lap swimming times. Often the diving boards will be open then and it seems like there'd be a chance the guards would let you practice diving from the side as long as you're in an area where it's safe to do so. This might be the answer. I might have to go during "family swim" on the weekend just to paddle around and get a few dives off the side. I think one of the reasons it's not allowed at all during lap swim is because the lanes are too crowded. But I know I've seen bigger kids jump in during family swim, so I suppose I could do a few starts from the side. Maybe skip the pullouts and SDKs.
  • Is there a dive team in your area? Dive teams usually practice their dives utilizing dryland methods. Consult your local dive team if there is one in your area. Oooo...that's an interesting idea. Its not a thing with the high schools around here but I bet one of the college teams may point me in the right direction. Actually, I'd make a bet they do a lot of training at gymnastics facilities and I happen to know a USA Gymnastics coach pretty well and I could ask her if she has any ideas.