Bob Bowman to coach at Arizona State

Anyone know anything about this? I just saw it in passing on some newsfeed remarking that Misty Hyman is going to be a assistant coach. Is ASU returning to collegiate swimming, or does he have to recruit with foundation money? As an alumni, I am pleased at the announcement. I missed any formal introduction, if there was one.
  • Hi Michael: Yes there was formal announcement a little over month ago about Bowman moving to ASU. Here is the story with interesting comments. swimswam.com/.../ Misty Hyman, however was just announced yesterday and its a great move for her because a lot of people including myself don't think Bob Bowman will stay at ASU for very long and more like 4 years or less. I say this because of his experience at University of Michigan from the fall of 2004 until the spring of 2008. That is exactly pretty close to what Michael Phelps college years and it was a great move for both of them because he probably had the best training group to train with preparing for the 2008 Olympics and it also carried over to University of Michigan swimmers like Peter VDK, Kleete Keller, Tyler Clary and others in there training for World and National events in the years following Bowman's hire. What it didn't do as some people expected was coach and develop University of Michigan to become a better team at the NCAA level and recruit swimmers for future years to make the program better. Rumor has it that Bowman carried more about Phelps and the professional swimmers than the kids going to the school swimming for the team and preparing for the NCAA Meet. A lot of people thought he took the job to get Phelps out of Baltimore and get him with kids his age and in a great training environment. Once that was over, both will return to Baltimore and resume business as usual. People in Ann Arbor expected him to stay longer than 4 years and not only develop the University of Michigan team but also develop Club Wolverine into a Club like NBAC. None of this happened and in fact 3 Clubs merged in the area to help build a big Club like NBAC and they became Club Wolverine. Ann Arbor Swim Club was an excellent Club for 50 years and never would have broken up their Club but with the Bowman hire, it made sense to try and emulate NBAC. Bowman announced that he would resign on June 30, 2008 just before the 2008 Olympic Trials. University of Michigan was lucky that they found a replacement that was better for the school than Bob Bowman. Michael Bottom has been at Michigan for 7 seasons and his Men' team has won 6 out of 7 Big Ten Championships and one NCAA Championship. Bowman won one Big Ten Championship in 4 years and never placed higher than 6th at the NCAA meet which he did twice and placed 7th and 8th the other 2 years. Michigan under Bottom have placed in the top 5 in the last 4 years with a 5th in 2012, 1st in 2013, 4th in 2014, and 3rd in 2015. It took him 3 years to get the program going in a positive direction with new recruits and the results show it. With Bowman, there was no team progress and it was mostly individual performances at the non NCAA level. Here are the announcements today. swimswam.com/.../ www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../