Dizziness, room spinning

Former Member
Former Member
I started swimming about nine months ago. In the beginning, I couldn't stand water getting into and get stuck in my ears, so I started wearing earplugs. I am a much better swimming now. I am able to swim 2 miles w/o breaks with using freestyle. So today, I tried swimming without earplugs. Oh man, I started getting dizzy. The pool was literally spinning. I couldn't swim anymore and had to stop for the day. Am I the only one experiencing this, or is this a common things amongst swimmer who are used to wearing earplugs? If possible, I want to be able to swim without earplugs in the near future. Do you have any advice? Thanks.
Parents
  • loonytick, mine have been less frequent (she knocks hard on every piece of wood within striking vicinity) since I got older, but I have chronic tinnitus. DH has the same problem and no one's been able to figure out why it happens, although the doc recommended lowering salt intake and that does seem to help. Meniere's is often associated with hearing loss. I suspect, though, if someone is using ear plugs and suddenly takes them out to swim, and water does creep into the canal, there's some blow back that could cause vertigo. Here's a link with a lot of good information: www.medicinenet.com/.../article.htm I've never done a flip turn and never will, and I've never been able to do tumbles. I was one of those kids you didn't want to spin or hold upside down if you were wearing anything nice.
  • loonytick, mine have been less frequent (she knocks hard on every piece of wood within striking vicinity) since I got older, but I have chronic tinnitus. DH has the same problem and no one's been able to figure out why it happens, although the doc recommended lowering salt intake and that does seem to help. Meniere's is often associated with hearing loss. I suspect, though, if someone is using ear plugs and suddenly takes them out to swim, and water does creep into the canal, there's some blow back that could cause vertigo. Here's a link with a lot of good information: www.medicinenet.com/.../article.htm I've never done a flip turn and never will, and I've never been able to do tumbles. I was one of those kids you didn't want to spin or hold upside down if you were wearing anything nice.
Children
No Data