Dizziness, room spinning

Former Member
Former Member
I started swimming about nine months ago. In the beginning, I couldn't stand water getting into and get stuck in my ears, so I started wearing earplugs. I am a much better swimming now. I am able to swim 2 miles w/o breaks with using freestyle. So today, I tried swimming without earplugs. Oh man, I started getting dizzy. The pool was literally spinning. I couldn't swim anymore and had to stop for the day. Am I the only one experiencing this, or is this a common things amongst swimmer who are used to wearing earplugs? If possible, I want to be able to swim without earplugs in the near future. Do you have any advice? Thanks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    To the OP, some of us just have to swim with earplugs. It's a little bit of a pain in the neck to have that one more thing to manage or to have muffled hearing when swimming, but you get used to it. If you haven't had any other symptoms, I'm skeptical that you're dealing with a bigger problem. There are a lot of conditions that trigger vertigo, not all of them serious or chronic. It could just be your body freaking out at having extra water too deep in the works of your ear, rather than an ongoing issue. If it happens again, I'd definitely consider going to an ENT, but in the meantime, it looks like you're an earplug swimmer. LOL, which is the reason I've never done it.:D Out of curiosity, as another person with Meniere's, do you guys feel like flip turns bring on a spell for you? And do you have a lot of short spells of vertigo or clusters of longer ones? I guess I'm just trying to figure out how weird of a case I am, lol. I will have days where the fluids seem to be just stuck in the WRONG position, with lots of vertigo, tinnitus, that full sensation in my ear, the whole shebang. And then it seems to reset and I'm ok for weeks or months. I can flip turn without problem, whatever. Movement doesn't seem to be the triggering event to put the fluids out of wack for me. The best I can tell, it's more tied to sinus problems, stress, salt intake, etc. But oh, those days when it's acting up I'm a total mess--can't drive, can't swim, have to call in sick and just stay as still as I can to make sure I don't run into walls or fall down or whatever.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    To the OP, some of us just have to swim with earplugs. It's a little bit of a pain in the neck to have that one more thing to manage or to have muffled hearing when swimming, but you get used to it. If you haven't had any other symptoms, I'm skeptical that you're dealing with a bigger problem. There are a lot of conditions that trigger vertigo, not all of them serious or chronic. It could just be your body freaking out at having extra water too deep in the works of your ear, rather than an ongoing issue. If it happens again, I'd definitely consider going to an ENT, but in the meantime, it looks like you're an earplug swimmer. LOL, which is the reason I've never done it.:D Out of curiosity, as another person with Meniere's, do you guys feel like flip turns bring on a spell for you? And do you have a lot of short spells of vertigo or clusters of longer ones? I guess I'm just trying to figure out how weird of a case I am, lol. I will have days where the fluids seem to be just stuck in the WRONG position, with lots of vertigo, tinnitus, that full sensation in my ear, the whole shebang. And then it seems to reset and I'm ok for weeks or months. I can flip turn without problem, whatever. Movement doesn't seem to be the triggering event to put the fluids out of wack for me. The best I can tell, it's more tied to sinus problems, stress, salt intake, etc. But oh, those days when it's acting up I'm a total mess--can't drive, can't swim, have to call in sick and just stay as still as I can to make sure I don't run into walls or fall down or whatever.
Children
No Data