Hypoxic Training - Good or Bad?

I'm just curious to know what you all think about hypoxic training. Do you think it's a good or a bad thing and why?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Our coach advises against Hypoxic training for older masters swimmers, as its not possible to develop or even delay the diminishment of lung capacity in ageing swimmers. That said, I train for 50 free, and my goal is to take as few breaths as possible. So in training we do the same when dive start sprinting. While it may not improve lung capacity, you get a feel for how long you can swim at top speed without a breath, prior to CO2 accumulation impacting performance. I'm down to one breath per 50 - I could finish the 50 without breathing but find I'm too focused on the pain of wanting to breathe than finishing the race strong with good form. I also find it helps to have full lungs for a little extra buoyancy. There's a good article on the subject here: www.alexandriamasters.com/.../hypoxic.htm
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Our coach advises against Hypoxic training for older masters swimmers, as its not possible to develop or even delay the diminishment of lung capacity in ageing swimmers. That said, I train for 50 free, and my goal is to take as few breaths as possible. So in training we do the same when dive start sprinting. While it may not improve lung capacity, you get a feel for how long you can swim at top speed without a breath, prior to CO2 accumulation impacting performance. I'm down to one breath per 50 - I could finish the 50 without breathing but find I'm too focused on the pain of wanting to breathe than finishing the race strong with good form. I also find it helps to have full lungs for a little extra buoyancy. There's a good article on the subject here: www.alexandriamasters.com/.../hypoxic.htm
Children
No Data