Hypoxic Training - Good or Bad?

I'm just curious to know what you all think about hypoxic training. Do you think it's a good or a bad thing and why?
Parents
  • I'm with Allen. Working on distance off the walls, not breathing into and out of turns, etc. is something that's going to benefit your racing skills. Hypoxia for the sake of hypoxia is silly, IMO. My main problem is that flip turns really wear me down. Although, I know that flip turns are pretty much every swimmer's enemy when it comes to tiring out, especially on SCY. But as a distance swimmer, I would like to minimize the impact turns have on my ability to keep my breathing under control so that I can swim longer distances without slowing down my pace. As it is right now, every time I flip turn, I immediately feel that urge to breathe as quickly as possible to the point that I don't even rotate all the way onto my stomach coming out of the turn. Instead, I end up rotating on my side so that I can immediately take that first breath as soon as I surface rather than having to wait for that first stroke before turning my head to breathe. There is a series of three articles on shallow water blackout featured on SwimSwam (and lately, more such articles have appeared on sources such as Swimming World). Here is Part 2 on the facts: swimswam.com/.../ Scary!
  • I'm with Allen. Working on distance off the walls, not breathing into and out of turns, etc. is something that's going to benefit your racing skills. Hypoxia for the sake of hypoxia is silly, IMO. My main problem is that flip turns really wear me down. Although, I know that flip turns are pretty much every swimmer's enemy when it comes to tiring out, especially on SCY. But as a distance swimmer, I would like to minimize the impact turns have on my ability to keep my breathing under control so that I can swim longer distances without slowing down my pace. As it is right now, every time I flip turn, I immediately feel that urge to breathe as quickly as possible to the point that I don't even rotate all the way onto my stomach coming out of the turn. Instead, I end up rotating on my side so that I can immediately take that first breath as soon as I surface rather than having to wait for that first stroke before turning my head to breathe. There is a series of three articles on shallow water blackout featured on SwimSwam (and lately, more such articles have appeared on sources such as Swimming World). Here is Part 2 on the facts: swimswam.com/.../ Scary!
Children
No Data